New Genoa

General Sailing Talk
David Russell

New Genoa

Post by David Russell »

I am thinking about a new genoa for my boat and I am wondering if anyone has any advice or general thoughts on the matter.

Any reason not to go with the original dimensions? Does $700 sound about right in terms of price?

I have recently had the jib repaired and the puzzle hanks replaced with piston hanks (not planing to use the furler), haven't managed to try it yet but soon I hope. I have also set the jib sheets up in a similar way to Dr Peter, with eye bolts in the deck and cam cleats on the gunwales roughly in line with the front edge of the cockpit locker lids.

Cheers

David
Attachments
rsz_img_20160502_163728.jpg
Yara50

Re: New Genoa

Post by Yara50 »

David,
Is your pics the set-up for the genoa? The sheeting angle is a function of the size of the sail (foot length) as well as control of the leach tension. That is why the original design has the jib sheet mountings on a track. Would be worth doing an internet seach on jib sail trim to get a full understanding.

Having flown an over-size genoa, I think the standard design is probably best. The over-size one causes a lot of weather helm, and to balance you end up de-powering the main. Also it does not take much to overpower the boat as the wind gets up, and so limits the use of an over-size sail.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
David Russell

Re: New Genoa

Post by David Russell »

Thanks for your response Ian.

My intention was to use the set up for both jib and genoa and to have a play with the barber hauler system that Dr Peter uses (assuming I understood that correctly) I thought to use the fairlead eye on the cabin mounted track from the original jib sheet system to operate the barber hauler.

I have read a bit about sail trim, need more time out there playing with it all really. I have been working on getting things easier to operate from the cockpit with new deck organisers, new halyards, new mastbase blocks. There is not a great deal of room on the cabin top for cleating, working on that, and I need to set up a downhaul for the jib also.

I also thought not to oversize the genoa and stick to the original dimensions.

Cheers
Attachments
rsz_1img_20160424_122859 (1).jpg