Solar Panel location

neilmac

Solar Panel location

Post by neilmac »

Hi Guys
I'm looking to add some solar panels to my boat. I'm aiming for 70 - 80W flexible panels with a 128Ah battery. As well as the usual nav gear, iPad etc I would also like to run my 35L Waeco fridge and a st1000 Auto tiller. A couple of options are; 1x70W panel on the Pop Top Hatch or 2x40W panels forward of the Mast - 1 on cabin roof, 1 on either the forward hatch or just near the bow. I know both options will have shading issues but it seems a lot of people do it. Panel sizes are 40W 560 x 490 - 70W 560x790 (this will have 60mm overhang. I'm also considering a Bimini - based on Andrew Cummings set-up which may have more of an effect on the pop top idea. The 2x40W needs a MPPT controller to get the best result as I understand it. The 70W system will be $120 cheaper which is not a great concern. I just want a setup that works. Any thoughts.
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
atles

Re: Solar Panel location

Post by atles »

wow that a lot to run :shock: on a investigator but it can be done !
i have a panel off the back easy and does not get in the way
for the regulator get one from whitworths cost you
$39.95 for a 4amp or 49.95 for a 10amp
fit it and forget about it as the regulator light go out and cuts the flow when the batteries are full.

i run a sounder , a chart plotter and marine radio
music radio and light off it
Attachments
me 1 (1 of 1).jpg
me 1 (1 of 1).jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Solar Panel location

Post by Andrew »

As i've fitted a bimini, the aft rail stern area is a good spot which is clear of everything when sailing. Although a bit heath-robinson I can untie it and move it anywhere on the deck or hang it off the rigging.. haven't tried the top of the bimini yet but that's a possible spot too.

I only run lights, vhf radio, fishfinder and small inverter so my panel is only 35w and battery 75AH (NS70T)https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/con ... 44a_hr.pdf. The solar regulator is 20A (for future system expansion)
moveable solar panel tied to aft rail
moveable solar panel tied to aft rail

I've also seen panels which hang off the cockpit lifelines, one each side they can either hang down (acting as spray dodgers) or be propped up like wings to catch more sun.

For a larger panel perhaps an adjustable swivel mount down aft.?

Sorry this reply is so late, you probably fitted your system ages ago, but it may help generate a few ideas
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria