Continuous Line Furlers

Dr. Peter

Continuous Line Furlers

Post by Dr. Peter »

I just fitted two Ronstan Gennaker 60 series continuous line furlers to Pip. After the sails and motor it has been one of my more expensive acquisitions (a bit over $800 for both including postage etc).

I got one unit to deal with the Code Zero sail after all too often being caught with only a half furled sail flogging itself to death because the drum I used before did not have enough capacity to bring it all the way in if there was some pressure in the sail. Tacking and gybing requires that we furl the Code Zero first, sort out the mainsail and then re-set the CZ.

I got the other to deal with my headsail which would occasionally fail to furl all the way in but mainly to get more space. Together the two units take up very little room on the bow. When in use, the code zero unit is mounted higher and slightly off centre to the unit handling the headsail. So far I have only static tested on the trailer and all seems good so far (fingers crossed).

The units come with the continuous line already fitted. Mine have the same color line but I have just lead one to port and one to starboard via the second pulpit stanchion where they eventually dangle into the cabin. I think a horn cleat would be enough to tie them off when necessary.

This improvement has been a long time coming. We tried a lot of other experiments before deciding Ronstan had figured it out. Here's hoping it makes our sailing safer and more enjoyable.
Last edited by Dr. Peter on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Re: Continuous Line Furlers

Post by Yara50 »

I did once consider the continuous line design, however, the fact that it needs some form of tensioning put me off. It seems too complicated for a T/S, wheras it is probably the best for a boat stored with the mast up permanently. Good luck with yours Peter.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

No tensioning required with these. The furling line does not appear to move when unfurling.
Peter
Pip #127
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Post by Greg »

Thats awesome Dr.Peter, $800 sounds like a hell of a deal! My boats original furler is long gone, i was looking to replace it with the ronstan "trailer sailer" furler it around $200 at whitworths plus another $170 for the top swivel. For $370 its probably worth the extra $$ to do it right. Unfortunately its way down on my list at the moment so my downhaul will have to do for now! Let us know how good it goes, I reckon it would make life a hell of a lot easier, probably a lot more reliable when you really need it too.
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
atles

Post by atles »

:mrgreen: photos please !!!
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

atles wrote::mrgreen: photos please !!!
Apologies for taking so long.

One photo shows us sailing off the wind in about five knots of wind. The headsail is furled and the code zero is up and flying. The code zero (CZ) furler is at the very front and slightly offset from the jib furler which is closest to us in the picture and it is more central. Unlike before there is plenty of space for both furling mechanisms in the small amount of room available.

When furling the jib the mechanism will continue to roll up the sail until the jib sheets are tight. A few wraps of the furling line to belay and all is well. You must keep tension on the line when furling otherwise it will let go - but this is a matter of technique.

As far as the CZ the continuous line furler absolutely resolves the issues I have had in the past. The only thing I would say is that it is better to let the wind unravel the sail than lots of tugging on the sheet. It helps if the rope luff is tight but don't expect miracles here. It is rope!

Gybing and tacking are a matter of furling the CZ, sorting out the mainsail, and launching the CZ on the other side. My CZ sheet is a continuous line all the way round the boat.

The picture of us at the dock shows where I keep the CZ when not in use. I am thinking about modifying this so I can launch the CZ without going forward at all.

So there you are - these continuous line furlers are expensive but they do work as advertised.
Attachments
Pip - 68.jpg
Pip - 68.jpg (16.81 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
Pip - 78.jpg
Pip - 78.jpg (17.73 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
Peter
Pip #127