Investigator Toreisi

General Sailing Talk
Yara50

Re: Investigator Toreisi

Post by Yara50 »

Tah,
You may be able to buy a complete lifting or pivoting rudder complete. I think the company Yachtworks used to make them in Melbourne, or somebody might have one to sell. Try a wanted add on Gumtree, and do a Google search. As long as the underwater area is equal or greater than your existing, it should be OK. You may also be able to buy new fittings for your existing tiller, I dont think they were special.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
MarkC

Re: Investigator Toreis

Post by MarkC »

Yara50 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:44 pm Ah, Toreisi... Seen her 10years ago. How time flies. I will attach some pics. She was the first I563 I ever looked at. Her rudder is from my Yara I50. (Replaced one that was stolen.)

If you can re-size your pics, around 50k is ideal.
Taken 2005.JPG
2006.jpg
Hi There,

Great to see the community still thriving. For those who are interested in some of the history of Toreisi. I purchased Toreisi back in January 2006 from Sailing Scene in Mona Vale. Back then I was living in Rose Bay NSW. I currently reside in the UK now and have just introduced my 3 kids (9,7 and 4) to sailing on a Mirror Dinghy, which is what has driven me to look up on where Toreisi is now. Ironically the kids wanted to name the Mirror Toreisi II. Haha
Back to Toreisi. I shared the boat with a good friend. We would often sail her on Sydney harbour at the weekend and take here to store beach. I also took her for trips to the Central Coast and Botany Bay.
During our ownership she did get broken into, and the boom, all sails, spinnaker pole, rudder, outboard had got stolen. Luckily the insurance paid out so we got new sails, boom and outboard. Ian B is right he kindly sold his spare rudder to us. Also the non standard tiller was our set up so to clear the knees in the cockpit. The picture you see of me sailing her is under the bridge in Botany Bay. It was a particularly still day hence the outboard still in the water.

In 2009 I moved to Mona Vale and my boat partner stayed in the Eastern Suburbs. For a period of time I sailed her in Pittwater. After having our name on a waiting list for over 5 years for a mooring in Rose Bay we got one in late 2011. My boat partner really wanted to put Toreisi on the mooring, and due to the distance and time taken up with a baby I sold my share of Toreisi in 2012. From 2012 till 2014 she lived on a mooring Rose Bay and I got my sailing fixes on Friday night twilight racing on Pittwater :D on a Sydney 38.

Unfortunately due to lack of time Toreisi did not get the attention required :cry: and became more of a mooring minder. In 2014 I had the opportunity to take her back for free but with a toddler and baby at the time I could not see myself having the time to invest in her to get her back to her glory days.. So I recommended to my boat partner he sell her and she went on the market in Jan 2014.

Tah, on the assumption you still own her I hope you have got her back to her former glory and enjoying her. All I can say is I am a huge fan of the Investigator. I really enjoyed the stability and the ease you can sail them. Those fond memories of exploring Sydney Harbour will stay with me forever.

For those who are interested. Here is a video from 2006 when we ventured out between the heads to Manly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAJ0kovF-Eg

Here is a video https://1drv.ms/v/s!Amntm1wbUBj6l4IhipG ... w?e=eySnfA link of photos taken during the time we owned her.

Hopefully I'll be able to get something of a similar size of boat in the future to take the family out on some over night adventures on the south coast in Chichester.

All the best and happy sailing!
Attachments
East Head in Chichester Harbour
East Head in Chichester Harbour
Sailing with my kids
Sailing with my kids
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Mark , good to hear from you again and I’m sure Ray, who’s now our official historian will also enjoy your history post. From memory you actually had some underwater pics on the old site of Toreisi or have I attached that memory to the wrong boat. It was unusual for the day in the years before GoPro cameras.

Great to see you creating new generation of sailors and Interesting you’ve moved to the UK. We have been regular visitors to the Uk as our youngest daughter has relocated there too. Finally got to the south coast on our last visit but not quite to Chichester Harbour . Spent Xmas of 2018 in Eype near West Bay (setting for Broadchurch) and visited Weymouth and the Isle of Portland before heading to Weston-super-Mare and Port Isaac (Doc Martin) before heading to Wales. I can really see why people relocate there, it’s an amazing place but the sailing season is a bit short for me. An Investigator would do well in the open sea areas. We were impressed that Brits still get out and do stuff in winter, but apart from the odd brave soul sailing seems mainly absent from that list🥶.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

Many thanks Ozzie,

Back then we had these waterproof (3m depth) Olympus cameras that we used to swim with. I remember us sailing out through the heads being followed by dolphins and we were able to submerge the camera to video them.

Good to hear you've been exposed to the UK south coast. Interestingly I am a brit and lived in Sydney for 10 years (got citizenship so may return some day :D ) and then returned in 2014 to be closer to family. I had been getting my sailing fixes once a year in the summer for Cowes Week on the Isle of Wight racing a friends SB20.. 20 foot trailer sailer with Asymmetric Spinnaker, you can hit 15+ knots planing (different from the cruising I enjoyed on Toreisi, in saying that I distinctly remember being on a lovely reach holding our own against a 35 footer and the owner shouting "You sail her well" :lol: ).. This year cowes was cancelled due to Covid, but fortunately we've picked up this little mirror so I got my sailing fix and the family have enjoyed it which is great news. Part of me wishes we had Toreisi in the UK as she'd be ideal for exploring the estuaries etc.

I agree on the sailing season here, unless you're really hardcore you can't sail all year round, it's not as good as in Aus!! A lot of owners winterise their boats here.
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Mark,

Thanks for sharing some of Toreisi's history with us. We are really just custodians of the boats, looking after them until the next owner comes along. It's great when we can learn a little about the past life of our Investigator.

Your sail number obviously dates to her racing days. Do you know the original number? It should be somewhere in the hundreds.
Ray
Investigator #39
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

Unfortunately I do not recall ever knowing what number Toreisi was. Sorry.