Rigging/hoisting a spinnaker......

General Sailing Talk
Spindrift114

Rigging/hoisting a spinnaker......

Post by Spindrift114 »

Hi Guys.
Not that I'm at all ready to fly one, having sailed Spindrift only once but I have been (in the garden on trailer) setting up sails and rigging, getting things to how I believe they should be and one a very calm evening I hoisted the spinnaker head up the mast and held onto the bottom corners to see what it might look like. Just a lovely sight! Now. Does anyone have images of how to rig the pole etc. There is one image I recall of an investigator flying a kite but it's too distant to see how it's rigged. I have read the spinnaker specs but can't figure out the rigging from that alone......
Any help would be much appreciated
Mike r
Spindrift #114
Steve

Re: Rigging/hoisting a spinnaker......

Post by Steve »

This is the only picture I have Mike. It shows the pole lift and a down haul to stop the pole rising. The pole height is non adjustable but I have found in an ideal breeze the sail sets and the foot is usually pretty level with the pole.
Attachments
IMGP4907.JPG
Spindrift114

Post by Spindrift114 »

Hi Steve.
Thanks SO MUCH! A picture is worth a thousand words! It also helps explain a collection of lines I had no idea of what their use might be. Hopefully the weather will settle later in the week and Junee and I can further familiarise ourselves (second sail!) with Spindrift. As I said in my original post, we're a LONG way off flying a kite. I was curious as to the "how" not so much the "when"
Thanks again.
Mike r
Spindrift #114
atles

Post by atles »

sorry to jump in but if some one has all the bit and spinnaker sail i looking to buy them off you thanks
send email richarde@tmcshade.com or pm my on here
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Spindrift114

Post by Spindrift114 »

Hi Atles.
Sorry mate but I intend to learn how to use the spinnaker and it's the only one we have so I'm afraid we can't help you at this time.
Mike r
Spindrift #114
Steve

Post by Steve »

Mike,
one critical error with the pole rigging in the photo that needs pointing out is that the pole should have a bridle that goes from pole end to pole end. The way it is set up in the photo the lift and the down haul are attached to the center of the pole. If a gust of wind tried to lift the sail it could well and truly bend or snap the pole at these attachment points. This is how it was set up when I bought the boat, I have since changed it to a bridle arrangement. Bridle for pole lift and down haul, or bridle for lift and down haul attached to outboard end of pole.

Steve
atles

Post by atles »

Steve it OK i will end up making one i think :)
atles
brisbane
Spindrift114

Post by Spindrift114 »

Steve.
Thanks for the extra info.... makes a lot of sense. When you mention it, I can now see how easy it would be to bend or snap the pole rigged as in the above image. My thoughts on the bridle and centre eye/ring arrangement was for a line that would allow blowing the guy from the cockpit in an emergency..... at each end of spinnaker pole there is a latch with a ring which (I thought would) allow the latch to be opened, releasing the guy and opening up the spinnaker if necessary by pulling a line attached to the ring and fed through the centre bridle ring and to the cockpit... would this be the case? Anyone?
Thanks
Mike r
Spindrift #114
brianlf

Post by brianlf »

If you go to this website:

http://www.johncrawfordmarine.com.au/tr ... igator-563

you will find a whole series of documents about the Investigator including one on how to rig the spinnaker.

Brian
atles

Post by atles »

atles
brisbane