Volvo Penta outboard

General Sailing Talk
zebedee

Volvo Penta outboard

Post by zebedee »

I noticed a Volvo Penta outboard on ebay; I believe these are the motor that the outboard well in some Investigators was designed around?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Volvo-Penta- ... 1333888614

I have no connection with the seller!

zebedee from TSP
Potential convert to Investigating.
Yara50

Re: Volvo Penta outboard

Post by Yara50 »

I am intrigued that the venerable Zeb, could be converted to the mini keelboat Investigator 563.
Back to outboards in a side well, this concept was quickly dropped in the I563 history. It is not surprising, as an outboard in an enclosed situation under a hatch, chokes in its fumes. If you have to motor with the hatch lid up, you lose seating in the cockpit.
The Triton 24 also had this concept, and if you look at current examples for sale, most that use outboards have mounted them off the transom.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
solo

Post by solo »

Hallo Ian To use the Volvo motor in the port locker, you had to swing it up into the vertical position. Then the motor would not fit under the closed locker lid .so, to run the engine
the locker lid had to be open. It worked quiete well, as long as there where no more then 2 in the cockpit.
Gunter
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Gunter, glad you are still following us . Can you give us a few details of how your used the PVC tube with your furling jib, length etc?
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I like to put a word in as well. The original idea of the Investigator 563 came from a Brisbane sailing personality ,Scott Barrett, brother of a well known actor Ray Barrett. this is why the original name was "Moreton Investigator" I had the pleasure of knowing both quite well many years back. The well was designed to only fit the 5hp Volvo outboard, wich could swing down and nearly sealed the pear shaped cut out. the lid had to be open with the engine running otherwise the engine was starved of oxygen. In those early times owners of the boat had the option to have the motor in the locker or on the back of the boat. Most opted for the extra space of 2 lockers and after Volvo discontinued the production of the 5 hp motor the idea was killed.

Regards Gunter
This is from Jan2010 when the outboard well was discussed before. I can see the advantage of the well for some boats. My mate had an Endeavour 24 keeler that we crewed on occasionally and this had a well in the cockpit floor .The leg is protected by the keel in this situation so it does not need swinging up other than for drag. He had no problems with it and it worked Ok . It did take up a fair bit if space in the floor plus the boat had a big lazarette behind the helm so the cockpit was cramped. It means you can use a short shaft motor.

Not a bad boat the E24, often thought if I were to cross to the darkside I would buy one, they are plentiful and well priced for a boat with full standing room. But, too complicated after the simplicity of the 563 probably, next step down will be an electric canoe ;)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)