How to defeat flaky interior paint

Alisha

How to defeat flaky interior paint

Post by Alisha »

Hi,

I am hoping someone may have some tips as to how to remove paint from that has been painted on the interior fiberglass of the boat (walls and ceilings).
I have tried paint scrappers, wire brushes and thinners to no avail, the white flakes just keep coming back and covering all interior seats and people. :shock:
I am thinking of sanding it back as best I can and re-painting with a thick fiberglass paint that will hopefully hold any remaining paint back for a few years!

Any ideas or wisdom from past experience would be much appreciated! :)

Cheers,

Alisha
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: How to defeat flaky interior paintq

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Alisha . Try pressure washing with an electric if you have one or a petrol if you can borrow one. Use the laser wash nozzle with the electric and the second strongest with the petrol . The pencil thin nozzle on mine will rip fittings off I'd say. This should remove all your flakey paint in record time ...next repaint to seal what is left before it starts to deceid to flake .

You can spend a lot on fancy paint, but it's not necessary . I have had moored boats for over 20 years and all I ever use is standard oil based undercoat to seal , it sticks like glue to fibreglass and then overcoated with dulux exterior acrylic gloss , used to be called X10 . I have even used this on my glass sheaved ply top on my old cruiser . Sat in the weather 24/7 on the mooring for 14 years and had no problems... put about 4 single recoats on it in that time . Interior was never touched again . The investigator interior was done the same and has lasted 7 years with only minor retouching for damage. Works for me anyway .

By the way you don't need to use white , cream is also considered good for interior , but really any colour you fancy . Gloss white reflects good amounts of light at night, that's why I use it.

Edits dew two spellun :oops:
Last edited by Ozzie on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
geoffr

Re: How to defeat flaky interior paint

Post by geoffr »

I know from experience that this can be a real bugger.

On my first boat I found that a wire brush and elbow grease removed most of the flaking, powdery mess. I also bought a wire brush for my drill and gave that a go to good effect.

Like Ozzie, I then used domestic undercoat, followed by an exterior gloss enamel to repaint and it worked a treat.

I just used whatever leftover paint I had in the shed; fortunately it was a light creamy green and gave the interior a very airy feeling.

Good luck with it all!
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Just another small point, any mechanical attack on glass is good too but be sure to use a good quality respirator with the correct type of filter. I never use disposable paper dust masks with FG .Remember glass fibre like asbestos does not break down.

A bit paranoid about this as I lost my dad and so did my wife to dust related lung disease. Its why I use water ..apart from the fact that my elbow grease dried up years ago :lol:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I have been laid up with a badly sprained ankle for three days and have been looking at all sorts of sail related stuff on the www. Found this by accident on the CH site by Petrea.

But there’s more; early in my ownership of Talisman the cockpit coamings, hatch trims and handrails were painted with exterior acrylic gloss — either Wattyl Solargard or Dulux Weathershield. After many years in the tropics there was no difference in performance and both were easy to recoat in wear areas and lasted really well.

Below the fumes from enamel paints would bowl me over, so in recent years I’ve only used acrylic. Finish can be excellent. It’s easy to apply and can be recoated in two hours, which greatly speeds the job.

Read the whole article on this link.

http://www.mysailing.com.au/news/cruisi ... -heathwood

My interior was weathersheild gloss acrylic or X10, same stuff they just changed the name.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Alisha

Post by Alisha »

Thanks guys,

It will be great to put your tips into practice and its good to known about what paint to use also. I really appreciate it! :D
I can't wait to have a beautiful boat interior, I have just done up new interior cushions with a posturepedic top so it should be comfy to sleep out on, I will try and post some pics when I'm done. :)

Thanks again and happy sailing,

Alisha