Boom tent Investigator 563

Alisha

Boom tent Investigator 563

Post by Alisha »

Hi Guys,

I would like to get a boom tent on my Investigator 563 to keep the sun off us while we are sitting on the back of the boat while anchored or under power.

Would any body know where I might get one from or had one made? Do you have any pictures of yours or suggestions if I had to get one custom made? I am in Queensland, so it would be better if there was a supplier/maker in Queensland somewhere if you knew of one.

Thank-you so much!
no way

Re: Boom tent Investigator 563

Post by no way »

A pic of my awning is attached. It was custom made and any canvas goods/sail maker should be able to make it. Mine is made from white "Herculite" which is waterproof, has 20mm aluminium tube for the battens, the side lines all have snap clips on them, a clip on rear panel to keep the whole cockpit dry (mainly dew) and clip on, roll-up side curtains for the wet times.
In plan view the awning follows the shape of the boat but I should have made it wider all round so that with slight rocking, water (dew and rain) doesn't splash on the side decks or cockpit seats. Am happy to measure it when next on the boat
Attachments
profile with awning and poptop cover.jpg
profile with awning and poptop cover.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 5142 times
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Hi Alisha,
I think what you need is a bimini. You can buy pre-made ones, just check out the width and height. IMHO absolutely essential for the Queensland sun. You can sail with the bimini up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQCpmXr0OGQ
One discussion thread:
http://www.investigator563.com/forum/vi ... lit=Bimini

For sitting at anchor, a simple awning tarp with wooden laths and ropes down to the lifelines, sitting on top of the boom, works well. However, this type does not let you sail with it.
Do a search on this site and you will see plenty of pics of the designs.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Hi alisha. Canvas tarp $28 ebay. The rope u already have onboard. Works well.
Attachments
2014-01-14 08.48.26.png
2014-01-14 08.48.26.png (61.12 KiB) Viewed 5125 times
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ian - What model Bimini did you purchase for your boat?

Mark
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Mark,
My bimini was just the frame from Bias and I sewed the fabric myself. Nowadays I think you can get the complete bimini, however I would recommend the 25mm tubing as more robust. I mounted mine on the aluminium toe rail, and it is further back than the one shown by Rod in his post linked to above. Sounds like the "Whitewater"brand might be suitable.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Alisha

Post by Alisha »

Thanks everyone, all good points.
I will probably have a bit of a go making a boom tent. I will post a pic of it in action :)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Our boat came with a boom awning, It's made of blue canvas and has 3 PVC tubes inside pockets that run across the awning. 6 guys ropes hang from the ends of the tubes and tie to the top life line wires and aft rail. It looks like it was custom made to fit the length of the boom. There are also 2 small curtains that roll up or hang down on the forward end too for when its raining.

It rolls up and stows inside the cabin, below the cockpit in minutes. A boom awning or Bimini makes life far more comfortable in North Qld as the sun can really hammer down.
P1030126 Teria PicnicBay.JPG
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria