Mastmate

Mark

Mastmate

Post by Mark »

A while back after much deliberation I decided to purchase the Mastmate SC to make my life easier in this area.

Whilst i store my yacht in a mastup facility there are a couple of times a yr when i need to pull it down for maintenance work. I have found the Mastmate sc to be an excellent device to do this alone in a safe and pretty stress free way, next time i go through the process ill take some photos.

If there is anywone interest in my experiences to date with the device feel free to send me a private message and happy to comment etc.

Cheers

Mark
cruiserpete

Re: Mastmate

Post by cruiserpete »

Hi Mark,
PM sent as I've now purchased a mastmate (and roller mate) so interested in your feedback.
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi Mark:

I bought a Mastmate about two years ago, and use it every time I lift my mast (by myself).

I find it essential to raise the mast up to the right height and angle, from where I can comfortably (and safely) lift it the rest of the way.

I use a block attached to the pulpit for the raising, with a line run back to the end of the forestay.

The block has a cleat, so I can lock off the lifting line to rest or change my footing or position on the deck anytime, knowing the mast is secure at whatever angle it's currently at.

I also use baby-stays attached to the spinnaker pole ring (about a metre up the mast), as these stop the mast from swaying too wide off centre (in windy conditions), decreasing the risk of the base tearing out the tabernacle fixed to my coach roof. (I once saw a half-lifted mast swing round madly in the breeze and come crashing down on the roof of the car in the next bay -- not a pretty sight!)

You can see the Mastmate 'in action' in the attached two photos, taken at St Helen's in North Geelong (though I have a mate helping on this occasion).

Cheers, Geoff
Attachments
Preparing the line from pulpit to forestay, ready to lift mast off Mastmate on the transom
Preparing the line from pulpit to forestay, ready to lift mast off Mastmate on the transom
Using Mastmate to raise the mast on QUMBU
Using Mastmate to raise the mast on QUMBU
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for great pics Geoff.

My is the SC so a tensioning device on the bow like a huge rubber band. I use baby stays also as you describe.

I find with the SC under the right tension that I can walk up to the mast and push down slowly the SC will take ui the tension then just push down the mast with a little pressure into the stern cradle.

For lifting I just stand at the mast base give it a bit of a lift and the tension fro. the SC allows it to raise slowly but with little effort. All very stress free.

The SC is attached to the winch at one end and the Heady halyard at the other.

Best