Centerboard rusted and stuck

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Centerboard rusted and stuck

Post by Andrew »

Hi all has anyone had experience and/or any ideas on freeing stuck steel centerboards? looks like it's an old and rusted, in the up position ,, is it possible to have a go at freeing it on the trailer? my trailer has bolt on rollers below the case, removal of these would allow the board to move 6" down if freed. I have metal working equipment available

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Re: Centerboard rusted and stuck

Post by Andrew »

There is slight centerboard movement when i used a small jemmy bar between roller and aft end of centerboard. It was resting against the roller, went up about 5mm with a slight rusty crunching sound. Eventhough it's the wrong direction and still not dropping, it's moving, so that's a relief. Searched for info on this issue, found Roberts pdf of his I563 centerboard removal method..and the centerboard specifications plan thanks, i will give it a high-pressure water blast next up, also try to move-lower the keel roller.

'Teria' has probably been sitting on it's trailer for a year or so until the test sail yesterday
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Guess the best solution is to remove the board and re-galvanise. Once the rust starts it will keep going unless stopped.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks Ian,

it sure does look like that, will have a go at the centerboard removal and keep you posted. It looks like the boards rusted up at the forward pivot bolt end, removed some rust from this area already.

Tools tried: a paint-scraper, machete blade, hammer, screw driver, short jemmy bar and a high-pressure water sprayer (for car washing). The machete can reach the top of the center-board case along most of its length. There's sideways movement from the aft (lower) end to about half way along the board.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

I used a short bladed saw with a squared-off end with some success.
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

My friend has four block and tackles attached to a high carport roof and we use these to lift the boat up. You need to get the boat up in the air if you can.
Peter
Pip #127
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi Dr Peter,

I've got a strong enough boat shed roof, plus chain block, come-along, 3 jacks, 12" x 6" hardwood blocks, spare timbers, car support stands etc. I don't have proper lifting slings, but do have very strong braided ropes about 20 mm diam .. hope the hull can take that.

Plan to move to the shed and start in a few days time
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Was just wondering how your friends lifting gear was arranged?
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

I would be very concerned about using a structure like a carport to support a heavy (one tonne) boat. Jacking may be a safer option.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Hi Andrew.
Depending on your trailer you can use your winch to move the boat back as you slowly drop centre board between two cross supports, that worked for me and I had great success using a pair of vice grips clamped tight using to screw drivers ether side to lever my frozen centre board moving clamp up as you go. I am not sure where you are (I’m in Melbourne) if your old board is in bad condition, I have removed mine and it will never be used again.