Centreboard cable...

camanche73

Centreboard cable...

Post by camanche73 »

Hello all.
So this is my first, of what I am sure will be many questions!
Started the new project today, just filling and fairing. But decided to make a list of things required.
Ininspected the keel, and am somewhat stumped by the centreboard lifting cable. I can see a cut out on top of the centreboard encasing where I would assume the lifting cable goes. But there is no housing attached to the casing, just a hole ( which would obviously let a lot of water in)
Am I correct in assuming that there is some type of cable housing which attaches to the top of the centreboard encasing? Is it just glassed onto the casing? And what sort of material would be best suited? Was thinking maybe copper piping?

Thanks for any advice

Ron
Ron
Investigator #153
Hood 20
Steve

Re: Centreboard cable...

Post by Steve »

Hi Ron,
I hope these photos help.

My 563 has a tube glassed into the top of the keel case. A section of stainless tube extends from the glassed in section and makes it's way up behind internal paneling (as seen in white paint) to an exit on the starboard aft cabin/cockpit molding.

Steve
center board cable tube.jpg
tube.jpg
camanche73

Post by camanche73 »

Thanks Steve,
That's exactly the image I needed.

Ron
Ron
Investigator #153
Hood 20
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

DSCF0863.jpg
DSCF0863.jpg (15.23 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
I only have this picture which I took way back when I bought the boat. Its a mix of steel tubing and clear re-enforced plastic pipe.
IMAG0018.jpg
IMAG0018.jpg (7.34 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
It exits at the right-hand side of the weatherboards just under the pop-top.

I have seen shorter pennants on other boats - to the height of the bottom of the companionway. Some water could come in but not much - the lift was very straight and free of friction (unlike the original set up). A jammer cleat was used to hold the pennant up. I'm sure others will have POV.
Peter
Pip #127