Lightning

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Lightning

Post by Ozzie »

There ya go, nothing like fresh eyes on the subject. I think you are probably right Peter. I was thinking of the bottom of the boat being “earthed “ but of course the fg would be an insulator. This is a subject that has endless articles written. I hope I never experience a strike. Spritzig has been out on the block in some horrific weather and no issues. I must ask the locals if anyone else has been hit.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Lightning

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ozzie, I think I put up a previous post on here somewhere regarding a Hood that sunk at Port Dalrymple many years ago. The story goes that lightning hit the mast, it zapped all the electric on board and found its path of least resistance through the depth sounder sender unit which was mounted in the bottom of the hull and the lightning exited the boat through that sender unit blowing a hole in the hull at that point sinking the boat. I remember the top of the mast sticking out of the water at low tide for quite a while until the boat was re floated.
Obviously a very nasty experience for the owner
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."