wanted

Brendan

wanted

Post by Brendan »

thoughts on outboard mounting. I am toying with the idea of mounting outboard on transom in the center with twin rudders or possibly making a proper outboard well on the starboard side , I may also need to scallop out a section of the transom to let the leg sit vertical. I have 2 reasons for this mod 1: the boat will be used a lot for fishing and motoring with out the mast , so I think it would make a user friendly launch with out losing sailing capability. 2: I don't really like transom brackets or outboard wells.[the hole through the bottom type.]
Brendan. investigator 153
Yara50

Re: wanted

Post by Yara50 »

Not recommended.
* Modifying your boat will reduce its value
* The transom is not designed for a central motor, and would need a lot of reinforcement.
* The first models had the outboard in a well in the port locker. Quickly dropped. (Fumes, loss of space, lack of turning.)
* If you have one of the inproved rudders, (particularly the drop type) they work well even at large angles of heel.

A spring counterweighted transom bracket works well. If you have a tiller lock you can steer with the outboard if you need to.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks for the reply ian.
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

I would agree with all the points Ian has made.
Peter
Pip #127
Steve

Post by Steve »

I believe if your seriously thinking about chopping into the boat, the best engine type modification to a 563 would be to fit an inboard diesel .Single pot 6-8hp. It would turn the 563 into a real boat and would only add value
marine diesel.jpg
My son Kev scored this little gem, It would be perfect for my 563 , just think no more transom clutter, plus you would get a deep driving prop and a beautiful exhaust note to boot.
Steve
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Diesel adds weight. Then you need a propshaft gland that doesnt leak, cooling inlet/outlet, good access for maintenance, loss of storage space. Not for me!
Ian B
vfborg

Post by vfborg »

My self i would stick to the out board motor easier to work on and if it buggers up also prob cheaper to replace well thats my opinion .
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Steve wrote:I believe if your seriously thinking about chopping into the boat, the best engine type modification to a 563 would be to fit an inboard diesel .Single pot 6-8hp. It would turn the 563 into a real boat and would only add value
marine diesel.jpg
My son Kev scored this little gem, It would be perfect for my 563 , just think no more transom clutter, plus you would get a deep driving prop and a beautiful exhaust note to boot.
Steve
And oil leaks. Vibration.gland leaks. Fuel weeps. I have lots of boat building and modifying experience and single pot diesels are not nice engines in small boats. Ok in heavy plank hulls because the wood absorbs a lot of the noise and vibration. The last volvo single i had was in a thirty footer and it rattled everything on board at idle.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

My idea is not to build a full outboard well but a small splashwell with the outboard mounted on the transom power boat style. I have everything i need to do the job which is a lot simpler than most of the conversions i have done. I want to use my boat for offshore fishing in power boat mode and that is the reason i don't want the engine on a bracket where it can get drowned in sloppy conditions. I will reinforce the transom and add a gusset where the engine will go. The transom brackets put a lot more stress on the boat than direct mounting. I will draw a plan to show what i mean when i get home . Thanks again for all the replys . It is good to get everyones opinion.
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Brendan,
Following on your concept, why not build the well on the side of the transom where the current bracket is, with a short bracket or false transom to mount the motor. The advantage of side mounting is to counteract the effect of "Prop Walk" , and you would need to check the rotation direction of your prop to decide which side. Plus, when side mounted, you do not have to fiddle with the rudder design.
Ian B