Fish Finder or Depth Sounder

neilmac

Fish Finder or Depth Sounder

Post by neilmac »

Hi guys

I'm having problems with my old Fish finder and I'm thinking of replacing it and wondered about what others think on the choice of either a fish finder or a simple dash mounted depth sounder. I'm not that into fishing, rather just sail but I know I need to know the water depth.
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
Mark

Re: Fish Finder or Depth Sounder

Post by Mark »

I bought a cheap fish-finder with depth sounder and water temp monitor for my I563 it cost $99 Garmin i think it and serves the purpose very well. Remember you need to work out the distance from the bottom of the transom mounted transducer to the bottom of the keel in my car 0.5M and take this into account when deducing the depth in shallow water to get actual depth. Basically where I sail it couldn't do with out it and i have turned off the fish finder function.
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

Thanks Mark

I guess my real question is that as I see it, the benefit of a fish finder is that it gives you a visual representation of what the bottom is like and if there are any nasty rocks sticking up.

Where as a simple depth sounder such as the Humminbird HDR 650 (at around $119) you just get the depth and alarms but no visuals and no water temperature. The only advantage is that its a neater mounting option (via a hole cut into the console.)

The other question I have is whether it's better to mount the transducer on the transom or in the hull. I can see the advantage of having the transducer mounted as forward as possible and in my boat that would be just before the the keel starts, I can't see any other options.
Neil
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

I mounted the fish-finder transducer right forward at the start of the keel. It angles forward ever so slightly, and gives you a little warning of what is coming. Also, being in the keel, the actual depth is not that much different to the measured depth. The cable is easily run aft under the cabin sole. http://www.investigator563.com/forum/vi ... ?f=5&t=202
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Mark

Post by Mark »

The model I bought has a visual seabed display which I find useful. A agree a hull transducer as forward as possible is a better solution, but when i installed I didn't quite have the courage to start making holes in my hull hence the transom mount. I think your solution proposed is best and in line with Ian B.

best
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

Thanks guys

Firstly I have solved my issue with my old Transducer. The wires were corroded (having been ripped out of the transducer) I cut off a metre, rejoined and all seems OK.

In regard to Ian's placement solution my centreboard pivot acces has been glassed in (going forward - see pic). Like Mark I don't want to start cutting holes until I know what i'm doing. Also, having researched further it seems that placing the transducer too close to the bow may be effected by turbulence so I'm now thinking of one of the v-berth flotation tanks which already has some wires running through it.
Attachments
cb_access.JPG
flotation_tanks.JPG
Neil
no way

Post by no way »

You are correct about turbulence close to the bow and you don't want it to be in a position which comes clear of the water so if you place it in the locker then it needs to be as close to the centre line as possible. Transom mounts seem to me to be "after the event". You shouldn't need to drill holes any where in the hull - use a glycerine filled wet box which is quite common.