Cockpit traveller

geoffr

Cockpit traveller

Post by geoffr »

Hi folks:

I'm thinking of installing a mainsheet traveller across the mid section of my cockpit, so that I can adjust sail position while facing forward, rather than have to turn to adjust the transom traveller.

I currently have a fixed centre cockpit attachment for my mainsheet, with no traveller. This arrangement is particularly handy for racing (e.g. approaching a rounding mark when you need to eventually let sail off or gybe but can't afford to face the rear even for a few seconds to adjust a traveller), but without a full traveller I can't position the main high enough at times to point to advantage on a beat.

Has anyone else got a cockpit traveller rig? If so, what size traveller track have you used? I'm thinking the 19mm track, similar to the transom, should also be strong enough in the cockpit position, but would welcome any thoughts on this.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Steve

Re: Cockpit traveller

Post by Steve »

Geoff,
I too find I have trouble with my sheet to the transom , It's fine when all is well but when the wind gets up and the seas get rough, I hate my twisted sitting position at the tiller and sheet as I end up with a sore shoulder and neck. I have had the same thoughts as you but I am reluctant to add anything more on a 563 that I have to climb/crawl under or over. However!! I am going to put a sheave opposite my sitting position for the main sheet as it would suit me better. I'm still happy to turn and adjust the traveler though.
Steve
no way

Post by no way »

Have you thought of running the mainsheet forward along to a block on the centre of the boom and then down to a block with cam cleat on the cockpit floor. It can be removable and with a little thought you could even make the attachment "flat" or non-trip-overable.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I was about to post the same question when i read this. Have you come with a new setup yet geoff. I think i may go for the center cockpit mount with a snap shackle on the mainsheet block. Would love to hear what others have on their boats.
Brendan. investigator 153
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi Brendan:

Good timing! Now that I have fixed the hole in my hull, this weekend I plan to reinstall the trailer wheels on the rear starboard side, which will mean I can safely go back aboard my boat to do some cockpit work.

I then plan to install a running traveller across the mid section, so that I can operate this while facing forward at all times. It will be attached via the mainsheet to a hound that is already attached midway along my boom.

I'll take some photos and post them here as I do this work.

First though, a trip to that big green hardware store for some square section aluminium rod, onto which I will secure my traveller track.

Cheers, Geoff
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia