Launching and retrieving

Stories and pics of Investigators on the water - and getting there.
vfborg

Launching and retrieving

Post by vfborg »

Hi i just got a investigator 563 just wondering how hard is it to launch and retrieve on your own i do have a tilt trailer ? I have a bad back is it as easy as launching a half cab or runabout.
cruiserpete

Re: Launching and retrieving

Post by cruiserpete »

Hi mate,

you might get a laugh out of my recent attempt to go sailing single handed.... Now, I must fess up and say at NO stage was the Investigator 563 to blame it was ALL user error ... but also a good learning experience.

I'm heading out to 'try' to launch single handed in 2 weekends as I work every other weekend (+ keep down a regular weekly job).

What I know...

[*]The mast is quite light to lift for its size by 1 person (I'm 50, overweight, high blood pressure and good candidate for Type 2 diabetes and have a crook R shoulder and I can get the mast up single handed... getting it down on my own is do-able, involves a bit more strength and ingenuity BUT a proven lifting system is crucial I think for the single handed 563 sailer, it's a piece of cake with only 1 other person.

[*]the tilt trailer is a fantastic way to launch (so I'm told... as I've not launched yet)

[*]Some form of 'tether' is crucial or your 563 will launch and simply float away if you do not have a long tether attached to it. Mine is attached to the sampson post and is about 10 metres long.

Lastly, I've posted in the 'technical section' about a "Moreton Investigator Association - Commissioning and rigging report" article on how to raise the mast and importantly tension the forestay using the short eyelet swagged about 45cm up the forestay and the eyelet fixed to the forepeak just in front of the anchor locker.

Welcome and you could not have picked a finer Trailer sailer... good sailing.
Oh, I'm in Tassie so a bit out of the way... rough weather and windy here (hence, reason for getting a 563)

Cheers, Pete
vfborg

Post by vfborg »

Hi pete i hope i don't have any major dramas when i go to launch for the first time i only sailed a caper cat before but i am right into radio control yachts i got a replica of Australia 2 about 7 ft long am looking forward for the first time out on my 563 i got my investigator at a price i could not refuse $2500 with a 8hp tohatsu only20hours run time don't know how to post photo on by my phone other wise i would boats not bad condition main jib and spinnaker.
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Thinking back to when we bought, Pip.

After viewing her in Matt's backyard we arranged a sail out of The Warmies at Williamstown, Victoria. The weather was dodgy, but we persevered and rigged the boat using Mastmate - superb. I hate rigging and on this boat it is easy to stand and lower the mast with Mastmate.

I took another look at the weather and thought, no. We don't want to go out in that. This boat is 5.65m so how fast will it go anyway?

But I hate the before and the after on the hard. So we launched and retrieved. And, its as easy as. It was a major reason for our subsequent purchase.

Use the tilt option to launch - you need a small push and off it goes.

The tilt option can help when retrieving too. I love the long keel and the guides on the trailer. It guides itself on.

I have a two-speed winch and I use low range. Its not hard.

However, its not a half-cabin. You can't drive a sailboat onto your trailer.

I think Gallery is the wrong place for this discussion
Peter
Pip #127
vfborg

Post by vfborg »

Yes god knows what i was doing the night i posted this in Gallery i think i had one to many pain killers and they went to my head but any way found out it pays to rap one coil of rope around the winch pole because when it got going off the trailer it surely went and wasn't that bad to bring back up.