Investigator 563 or sunmaid 20?

General Sailing Talk
lmz

Re: Investigator 563 or sunmaid 20?

Post by lmz »

amazing what leverage and brain power can do :D :D ;)

will read more into this ... once I have a boat.
HeadingNorth

Post by HeadingNorth »

Yara50 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:07 pm Investigator- easy to launch, tow, mast slightly lighter to raise.

Cockpit size- Most boats seem to have the same size cockpit. IMHO 3 people is the comfort limit. Take a look at the pic of Wagtail #72 here: http://www.investigator563.com/forum/vi ... p?f=5&t=87 I think I can see at least 5 people, if not 6 on board!

Resale value- Most boats are bargains at the moment, but you need to check out a few to get the right market price. In general the Sunmaids seem to fetch about $3k more than an Investigator 563.

Cruising. Easy to set up a stove on I563. Pics on this site. Sink is a bowl. We have Portapotti behind a blind for privacy, but it would be a squeeze for you. PP can also be placed in cockpit for the night. We have an icebox (esky in Oz) in cockpit locker. The Sunmaid would obviously be better for extended cruising.

Whatever you buy, condition of boat and trailer is most important.
Good luck!
BTW- I am biased, but I dont like heavy moving keels, so the Catalina would not be my choice.
Hi Yara50 - I've just joined this forum with a view to getting an I563. I found this comment from you from many years ago, which includes the phrase "easy to launch". To my eye, the long shoal keel and consequent extra height would make the I563 harder to launch and retrieve than a flatish-bottomed trailer-sailor like my previous RL24. I would very much like to be proved wrong, as just about everything else in this design appeals. So if any forum members can enlighten me about the ease/difficulty of launching I'd be grateful. Cheers, Rob
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Hi Rob,

I can't offer comparisons, the first sailboat I owned was the I563 I bought a couple of years ago.

But I can't imagine it being any easier. Once rigged, back to the water and push off like any other. And wind on with the winch.

Plenty of people here will be able to give comparisons, my point is only that I had nil experience and launched and retrieved single-handed without issue first time out, and still do.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
HeadingNorth

Post by HeadingNorth »

thanks Geoff
i managed the RL24 single-handed, but not without a fair bit of stress. i think adding an extension bar can help for some trailers - i.e. allowing the boat to really float on and off. but good to know you haven't had too much trouble