Safety Issue - Transom steps

General Sailing Talk
snoopebj

Safety Issue - Transom steps

Post by snoopebj »

While sailing and then rafting up on a mooring in Port Hacking over the weekend I decided to take a dip and use the transom steps to climb back up.
Whilst not being the fittest of people there is no way possible to get your foot up to the bottom step. I hate to think of the consequences if someone should fall overboard and then try and struggle back up in a state of exhaustion. Luckily my mate's stinkboat ( er cruiser) had a boarding platform and got up that way.
My immediate but not elegant solution to this problem was to use my boarding ladder hung between the outboard and the rudder (port side). I took another dip and got back up ok. So now my boarding ladder is permanently hung along the port life rail tied with a twist tie (one twist) and a lanyard hanging down from the ladder to the water to wrench it free.
I would welcome any one else's thoughts, experiences and solutions to this potentially dangerous problem.
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Mark

Re: Safety Issue - Transom steps

Post by Mark »

I installed a small folding transom ladder on the starboard side of the transom, careful to not obscure the white nav light. It drops down about 0.5M below the end of the transom and works as a good boarding ladder. I used this as a replacement for my old hang over the side latter which took up too much strorage space and was a pain to use. I dont have a current photo to show but will post one if you want

Cheers

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Here are a couple of photos I just took, I think i over estimated length in last post but sufficient to get on board

Cheers

Mark
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

That's a neat solution Mark and good photos of the ladder stowed and extended. I will follow you on that one. I have a transducer hanging on the stbd transom but that can be moved. This is a much higher priority.
Thanks

Emrys
no way

Post by no way »

The moulded steps were never on the agenda.
Went the whole hog - teak boarding platform with fold down ladder which is as deep as the keel.
Have outlet to connect shower to rinse off salt or girls to wash their hair - best thing I ever did.
Also cut the full width pushpit rail to give 2 corners and an easy step thru.
Attachments
ss swing rudder lift up tiller marlin board and boarding ladder.JPG
ss swing rudder lift up tiller marlin board and boarding ladder.JPG (78.96 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

A great set up there Noway. Practical, esp. the boarding platform and shower connection.
Ladder reaching below the keel is a good safety detail.
cheers
(Also very impressed with your lift up rudder. Maybe you could start a post in the tech section and tell us how you made it with some photos). Yet another project on my list!

Emrys
Mark

Post by Mark »

I should also add i have in starboard locker water tank and pump and shower nozzle for same.

Re rudder, looks like mine original drop down I think
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Folks,

Somewhere, somehow, I got the impression that the original Investigators came with a removable aluminium step/ladder that hooked/tucked under the rod that runs throught the second step/foothold.
Does anyone know about this? Does anyone have one?

Robert B
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Robert
I am not sure, but my guess is that aluminium bar across the upper step would not be stable enough to support a proper step. I think it is just a hand hold, but you would have to be very fit to be able to climb up from the water using it.

Reference the original rudder, it was just a single piece that was unclipped for launch/retrieve. Not a very practical design, and most have been replaced with either the pivot or the lift blade type.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Vrongel
Investigator Boat Name: #153 Lastochka

Post by Vrongel »

Hi all,

Liked this topic on a boarding/swim platform also including a ladder. Here are some stuff I have found on the web for potential ideas?
Criteria ii will evaluate them all by for is for it be be a platform for swimming/ sitting and a ladder for easy and safe boarding.
acd4c7010b9007c95dad401fa6e6091b.jpg
Mounted on the sides as a small platform as well as a ladder that by looks goes deep.
Pros
Portable, can be placed anywhere such as on the sides of the toerail or off the transom, Wherever is not crowded and can be fully removed
No need to install it
Some DIY
If rope breaks, creates a super long ladder (see cons awsell)

Cons
Boarding from the side will cause it to roll( I'm not sure, I haven't been on an I563 or other similar boats on water)
Very bulky, hard to store when not in use
Will the toerail be able to hold it as well as the g.. The side deck thingy :oops:
Platform is being held up by rope
0715b6d78cd28b21b933c37d2d7bb935.jpg
Foldable yet permanent transom platform
Pros
Small and foldable, compact
Looks very easy to make
If forgotten to fold it will float up when in movement, less drag?
Fits in with that rudder :lol:

Cons
All weight is on the rope
Ladder/step isn't deep enough
What ladder??? :lol:
It looks insecurely attached to the transom
Crowded transom
p1agkvucs117lb1qni1l511g5n8nh6.jpg
Portable platform on rope
Pros
Like the first one, it is portable and can be placed anywhere on the hull/transom
Very compact when not in use, basically just a board
umm running out of ideas
Looks cool in a marina, especially near a pier, probably it mail use is for easy boarding when docked

Cons
The ladder is inexistent which is then kinda useless
Puts on pressure point on to the hull?

Evaluation
In my view, I would have the first option mixed with the second, a permanent ladder and platform off the transom. Although the lower ladder shown in the first pic was fixated, it can be replaced to a retractable one. Also, if it is just the platform and the lower ladder only, it will be less bulkier and will look less crowded on the transom

Hope this was fun reading, maybe spark this topic back up with new members as well))).
Alex :D
Investigator #153 Lastochka
Sydney