Broken Vang Bracket

General Sailing Talk
Mark

Broken Vang Bracket

Post by Mark »

Last weekend the bracket at the base of the mast to which the Vang was attached via a U shackle snapped in a strong wind on a run. I post the picture below to show the replacement I have added to the mast base mound.

Issue to me is that I thought this mound was solid fiberglass but when I drilled into it the area where the new bracket is mounted appeared quite thin. I am hoping this 4 screw replacement will hold in this position ok. Comments welcomed on this.
Cooper

Re: Broken Vang Bracket

Post by Cooper »

May i ask how you have actually fastened it into the fibreglass?

Coops.
Mark

Post by Mark »

As you see just four tappers plus Sikaflex it feels very firm but....
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

To the best of my knowledge, self tappers will not give a firm hold in fibreglass. If you cannot get to the underneath and use bolts, washers, nuts or even a pad to spread the load, i would suggest that you drill a hole too large for the screw, fill the hole with epoxy, then drill into that when it has set and screw into that. Others may have more/alternate/better ideas, but i do not think that i would be pulling the vang on real hard at the moment, and as for a gybe. :shock:

Coops, hope that i am wrong for your sake.
no way

Post by no way »

Would NEVER use self tappers into GRP when they are load bearing - and as you found out the vang anchorage is subject to a fair LOAD - mostly sideways unless you are using it to bend the boom when sailing upwind - which I doubt. In the first instance tapping a thread into the GRP - like tapping a thread into metal - at least stops the laminate from tearing with the thread of the fastening. Secondly the tapped thread is generally finer so has more "grip" in a thin laminate.
As for the actual vang mounting in your pic thru bolting would be the only safe, secure method. The point where you have the pad eye fixed is behind the bulkhead in the cabin so is accessible for thru fixing. Because of the load direction mentioned above it may possibly better to have the loop running athwartship instead of fore and aft.
My vang fits to an eye bolt (with the eye part bent up to the angle of the vang pull) which goes thru the mast at approx the point where there is a hole in your mast. The upward bend and the fact that it floats (can rotate) means it doesn't effect the raising and lowering of the mast
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Boom vang mounting
Boom vang mounting
The casting is just not strong enough, and neither is the cabin top for an upward load. Suggest remove your fitting and replace with mast hound, as can be seen in this photo on Pittwater.

BTW- the mound is a wooden block. Make sure you seal your holes to keep out moisture.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

Perhaps a quick fix for now would be to lash some spectra around the base of the mast and attach the vang to that. Anybody see anything wrong in that? :?

Coops
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

Ian,
Does the hound cause any problem when lowering the mast?
Larry
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

No problem as only the tang projects and anyway the mast sits on that bump.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Olmate-sail156

Post by Olmate-sail156 »

With a tendency to value the original I would suggest replacing the mast foot to solve the problem. Bob Keeley in Moorabin I think. $70 something dollars.
Graeme