Investigator for sale on LM

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Investigator for sale on LM

Post by Ozzie »

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-s ... 4294895843

I put this on the old post from Karl who had a look over my 563, but thought as there are a few converts looking at the moment I would give it it's own thread . I have been busier than a one armed juggler with hives lately but things are slowing down at the moment so if anyone is interested I could go take a look. No trailer or OB but at that price you have lots of cash to spare that your not forking out on a clapped donk or rusted trailer.

Even for you interstaters it may be a goer if you can get a Trailer or transport. May I suggest in the first instant asking the seller to send you a video ( available on most digital cameras these days). If you are still interested I'll check it in person. I sold my aging mums immaculate 88 Berlina interstate a few years back via email ,photos and videos and the buyer was very happy.

Just a thought if it helps any potential 563 owners
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Cooper

Re: Investigator for sale on LM

Post by Cooper »

Thanks Ozzie. I saw this one myself, then Robert sent me a link to it. I do not want a project boat though. Do you or anybody else know anything about it? The lack of motor is not a problem, neither the trailer really, just that if has been neglected for a few years and moored in the water it could have some issues. Perhaps i am being over careful but i have looked at enough boats in my time which have been "misdescribed"

Coops.
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

No Coops I am unfamiliar with the boat but I would not be put off by the moored status personally. My 563 has been moored for 6 years with basically no ill effect but then it is reconditioned annually.

On mooring ...one needs to remember most keelboats are moored and most are worth considerably more than TSs . (large ones). Also it might be interesting to note I have had no trouble from by keel bolt whereas the trailered investigators on the forum do. There may be some weight in the idea that a moored boat cradled in the briny has less stress placed on it than a regular trailed boat subject to consistent road shock.

You are right though , a neglected boat is not worth it road or moored unless you are actually after a project.

It's just that from the photos it seems in good nick.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

It does look in good condition i agree. I have had keel boats moored for over 25 years, but i always thought/heard that a trailer sailer which has been moored is possibly a bad thing because of various possibilities with the swing keel and casing. But that i have no proof of. :roll: Now you all have me thinking about this one when i had dismissed it. Buggers :lol:

Coops. perplexed.
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/ph ... red#p67077

Coops this old post on TSP has a few pics and bits on my moored 563 . If you had moored boats before the cleaning won't be new to you but note my CB 6 years and just a bit of fishoil over the gal. I also 2paked the hull below the waterline before anti foul . It has worked for me but you need to quiz the owner to see what his preparation and maintenance were like.

Cheers and good luck with your search.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Lack of a trailer is the big problem, plus cost of transport. The new modern trailers are going to set you back say $5k and a second hand motor say 1k, brings you up to around $9 k plus hassle. You should be able to get a good complete rig for $9k with no hassle. IMHO the boats without trailers tend to stay as moored boats. Still great little boats, but sailers without trailers.
Oh, and dont forget most modern trailers are designed for power boats and dont have the full tilt, so there could be launch/retrieve hassles there too.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

I agree with Ian on the expense of a trailer, but I remember watching Gary (Gazman) launch his boat from the brand new trailer, he made. It was fantastic. I think we have some photos on the site. If not I'll try to dig them up.

I could be wrong but I think Robert's Investigator 563 was on a mooring before he owned it. He now trailers it so his opinion of going from one to the other should be pretty good.

Larry
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Larry, I would not try to talk a dedicated trailer man into mooring, but it has worked well for me on two boats for 20 years plus now. We are having this discussion right now on TSP and here is a little list I wrote on one of my posts..

10 Reasons I own a moored TS.

1. Best of both worlds.... easy access or trail away when needed

2. Slip for free any time you wish....I had my cruiser on lift out hard stand for 6 months till I got the mooring.. expensive and always needing to take every tool you may need except the one you forget. My keelboat friends are always complaining about slip fees. Many have been caught on hardstand waiting for parts $$$$$$

3. Small easily removed outboard that comes home . I had been using the ancient mariner for 6 years and it was already over 25 years old. I won't get into the costs for my keelboat mates replacement cost for his Buhk Deisel.

4. Shear joy of canoeing out to the boat and just messing for half an hour after a busy day. Thanks Toad of Toad Hall.

5. Investigator ...keel boat stability with beachability ....they should bottle it.

6. Fun churning stomach of pristine TS owners with horror pics of weed growth

7. Trailer parked in lounge room as show piece

8. No cracks in keel case from council potholes as boat does average 8 k a year by road.

9. No waiting at ramp ...which as I'm in lake Mac has jetty 2 k away

10. Had sign on boat saying do not moor and I'm not one to follow convention.

And I know you could write similar list for trailering. I'm now on the down hill run to 60 and my back is about 10 years older than me so as this point mooring suits me as set up and launching is just the sort of activity that stuffs me. When I do annual bailout I get help and I quite enjoy the yearly strip out and refurbish.

Mooring is not for everyone but hey I switched to sail after 40 years of power boating ,including with my dad, so there is always hope for conversions :D
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

Ozzie,
I wasn't commenting on trailer vs mooring. I was saying that buying a boat without a trailer does mean you have to buy a trailer (If you want to trail), but being forced to buy a new trailer is not always a bad thing. Gary's new trailer was fantastic. My original trailer is not holding up as well as the Investigator.

Heck if my boat was on a mooring I know there would be nights that I would get home from work and just sit on the boat at the mooring and enjoy the sea breeze. Hell, there would be nights I would just go sleep on it.

Larry