Sails and trailers...

General Sailing Talk
zebedee

Sails and trailers...

Post by zebedee »

What do sails and trailers have in common, I hear you ask?

Along with outboards, they're two of the "big ticket" items in a trailer sailer, and being specific to the type of boat, particularly in the case of sails, people are often reluctant to replace ancient sails with new sails for an elderly boat.

The local boat for sale I looked at about a month ago, commented on here, then withdrew my comments when I was threatened by the seller, had it's original sails and an unusual non-galvanised trailer which was probably a home built kit trailer of the right vintage for the boat.

Several other boats I have looked at have also had their original 1970s sails, all looking thoroughly worn out. They've also been on original galvanised 1970s trailers which generally seem to have held up fairly well; though they rarely have brakes.

My current boat, (not an Investigator), is on it's original trailer, but with override mechanical brakes and larger wheels fitted, by me, soon after I bought the boat in 1997.

My sails are near new excellent condition 470 dinghy sails I got at a very good price, which are a good fit for my Dennis. It had no sails (nor boom, tiller or outboard) when I bought it; I had a complete 470 except the hull at the time and the price was definitely right.

I'm on my second outboard, a near new Honda BF5, which was well worth the price for it's reliability and quietness, and which can be sold separately or transferred to another boat in future.

I'm wondering:
* How many people still have the original sails on their boat, versus having replaced them at some time?
* How many people have the original trailer under their boat - has anyone replaced a trailer?

I guess no one has the original Volvo brand outboard the well in the early boats was designed for, and most if not all of you would have outboards which are significantly newer than the boat?

Incidentally, I looked into the price of new sails about a month ago for a Griffin I was looking at; a fully battened main with slugs and a single slab reef was roughly $1000+/-$100 and a jib was worth about $500.

Graham
Potential convert to Investigating.
LarryW

Re: Sails and trailers...

Post by LarryW »

My trailer is original I think, and was well maintained. My sails are not original.

As your post indicated trailer, sails and motor are worthy of consideration when looking to purchase a boat. Replacing them could truly exceed the cost of the boat. Not a problem if you are aware of the cost, but could be a shocking surprise if you are not.

Larry
Yara50

Re: Sails and trailers...

Post by Yara50 »

Yara has two sets of sails, the original and a newer set. (She was a race winner in her day). I use the old main as it has slugs which make hoisting single handed a lot easier. I was using the old jib, but the leach is too tight and I have switched to the newer one.
Trailer is original galvanised tilt type but has had brakes fitted, as well as wobble rollers and trailer mate guides, and over time new axle and springs.
Motor is 5 hp Mariner, water cooled. If not the original, it is still pretty old but in good nick. I have seen a few boats with original air cooled 5 hp Mariners still going.

Over on TSP people having been buying sails on mail order from Asia. We have the dimensions so this is also a possibility.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara