Queenscliff to Geelong

General Sailing Talk
Dr. Peter

Queenscliff to Geelong

Post by Dr. Peter »

The Geelong Trailerables are running a race on October 9, 2011. A few guys from my club, Yarrawonga, are thnking of participating. I thought I'd race Pip in the cruising section however after looking in the usual places I still have no idea of the CBH. Does anyone know?
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
geoffr

Re: Queenscliff to Geelong

Post by geoffr »

Hi Peter:

You and your mates from Yarrawonga would be most welcome to join us for the running of the Queenscliff to Geelong Race.

I'm actually part of the organising committee for the Geelong Trailable Yacht Club. I won't have my Investigator there, as it's not quite finished its reno yet.

Instead, I'll be crewing on a friend's boat. We have some great prizes (from Harken and Club Marine) and some great trophies. We were out sailing part of the course on the weekend, for the annual Cluster Cup race. It was wonderful, especially with dolphins racing us too (they won!).

Just head to our website for further info: www.gtyc.com.au

And you can easily get a CBH for the Investigator from the YV site, or we can arrange it for you on the day. Either way, I suspect you'll be sailing in the cursing division, unless you plan to fly a spinnaker (if the wind's in the E-SE).

Kind regards,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

I found a CBH for I563s at:

http://www.trailableyacht.com.au/?Page= ... 2F53170%2F

It said, Investigator = 0.594

An I563 cannot be considered fast with a CBH like this. Fortunately it has many other qualities.

Peter

Commodore YYC
Investigator 563 #127 Pip
Maricat # 2416
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

I am definitely coming. We plan to put in at St. Helens on Thursday afternoon / Friday morning and stooge across to Queenscliff where we have booked at the Marina for Saturday night (TBC). We hope to be ready to race the next morning. We'll need to find some GTYC officials to do the paperwork and pay the entry.

At this point there could be four boats from Yarrawonga including mine. They may arrive later and put in at Queenscliff.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi again Peter:

You can enter and pay fees at Queenscliff on Sunday morning before the race; our club will have an admin area set up at the Marina for this purpose.

Although we have good entries already, many will still wait to see the weather forecast before making a final commitment.

If by some chance you get lost, or need local advice or guidance when you arrive at St Helens or at Queenscliff, just give our Club Captain Jim Bland a ring on the club mobile (details from our website at http://www.gtyc.com.au ).

By the way, although the Investigator's CBH indicates it's not a fast boat, it still shares the same rating as an Ultimate 18 -- one of which won our Cluster Cup last weekend against a fleet of much faster boats. I guess this proves the value of a handicap system in the first place, providing you're not sailing purely for line honors all the time.

See you down there!
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Beauty!
Peter
Pip #127
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi all:

I've just posted a weather update for the big race this Sunday, 9 October, for those of you thinking of competing.

Just head to the TSP site after this for a look.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

From my rear commodore's calculation we'll be sailing against the tide.
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Dr. Peter wrote:From my rear commodore's calculation we'll be sailing against the tide.
Peter
Hi Peter:

You are correct. We have had to select a date for this race that did not compete with AFL or any pre-Christmas events, etc, and chose next Sunday as it seemed to have the least clash with all other club events around the place.

It will be high-water at the Heads at 9.26 next Sunday, so we hope that by starting the race at 10.15 we will have the fleet well away from that area before the tide picks up apace.

The weather looks OK for this time of year: about 19 and a possible shower with a 15-20 knot wind from the West. So the start and reach up around the eastern end of the Bellarine Peninsular should be fast, followed by some close-hauled tacks west toward Corio Bay. Probably not a day for spinnakers!

See you on the water!
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Post Event Report

The conditions
The race was about 7.5 hrs of pretty full-on sailing conditions for this inland lake sailor. An RL even managed to get swamped and need rescuing. As for us, we retired in Corio Bay due to a mutinous crew saying, 'Enough'. Pip was tougher than we were*.

The wind was 30kn with 35kn gusts (updated these after information from GTYC club captain). The swell was getting close to 2m at times. It was pretty much a downwind start and we began with two reefs in the main and no headsail and still manage to surf down waves.

Guess who forgot to rig up the jib sheets? After an hour or so when things had 'settled down' (a relative term) we got the headsail working. While trying to connect the jib sheets to the headsail and the boat the furling line let go. That was noisy and fun to put right.

Just after Portarlington we begun our windward work and Pip performed extraordinarily well IMHO. As long as we did not pinch and actively steered off for the larger waves then we kept up good speed and were rarely brought to a standstill. It is a long time to concentrate though and invariably mistakes were made. Tacking was always possible as long as you picked your moment. Lack of local knowledge saw us go out to into open water. No GPS meant we tended to creep up to navigational markers rather than take 'short cuts'.

The Boat
The boat was great, the boat was tough, and it just kept plugging into the conditions. Some of the systems were not. The jib sheets were not long enough and needed attachments that could be undone and done up again without tools. I would have liked to have re-positioned the jib sheet so as to open up the top of the leech and release pressure. My reefing cringles used knots that could not be undone in those conditions making putting in or shaking out a reef quite impossible. As it was two reefs and the full-sized headsail was fine. Although a smaller headsail would have been more comfortable I suspect.

The boat turned out to be not very water proof but we did ship green over the bow on at least ten occasions. Stuff in plastic boxes stayed dry - everything else got saturated - including the bunks.

Anyway - it was a tough classroom and Pip passed with the comment - crew needs more practice.

Peter

* Actually this decision was made easier in the belief that we had not had a fair start as we never found the start pin and did not see any meaningful flags on the start boat so believed the start already happened. It was blowing hard and we began drifting below the start boat and in the belief it was after the 10:15am start time we should just go. We had to mark way points in a log which did not happen. The log got wet. We did not really know these places they were not on our chart. And being distracted was not safe sailing. We figured we had not fulfilled the racing requirements.
Last edited by Dr. Peter on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Peter
Pip #127