Purchase storm Jib

General Sailing Talk
Mark

Purchase storm Jib

Post by Mark »

My storm jib is pretty tattered and tired and was wondering if anyone knew the best source for replacing, can one use jibs from similar yachts or does one need to pay a sail maker to construct a new one? comments appreciated

Thanks, Mark
Yara50

Re: Purchase storm Jib

Post by Yara50 »

It is a pretty small sail, and you have an example to use as a template, so maybe the easiest is to get a local sailmaker to make a new one for you.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

I used Eastwind Sails for my new drifter, headsail and main. Sailmaker, Dave Turner, did excellent work on all three and the communication was really good..

Dave's number is 0417250490. There is a website too.

Peter

Pip 127
Peter
Pip #127
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for that info Peter I'll look into that.

Mark
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Mark,
Had nice email from Dave Turner about him providing your storm jib.

When you get a chance to use it - I would love hear about its performance.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Peter for note I was intending to post here today on the new storm jib.

I took the advice given on this site and contacted Eastwind Sails about getting a Storm Jib made for my investigator. I subsequently went ahead, cost about $600, and it arrived Monday this week (about 10 days from order), took it out for a test yesterday on Batemans Bay, by lunch time we had a good north west wind and it hit 22 knots at some points. I was double reefed and the jib performed brilliantly, the boat was stable and fast we were hitting 6 knots before the reef went in. We play with lots of combinations and the jib was on a separate furler. I am very happy with the result and its beautifully made. Just what I need for summer sailing here as the NWs get up in the afternoon. BTW the furler worked great, I had had variable results with the old sail but this one just furls perfectly. Highly recommended.
Cheers

Mark
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

So Mark, just to confirm, you have your stormy on a a staysail position?
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dr. Peter wrote:So Mark, just to confirm, you have your stormy on a a staysail position?
Peter
Peter - I have it on a separate Halyard connected to a furler, the forestay sits in front of it. I took some photos today of the setup prior to going sailing and I'll post these in the next day or so to show my configuration.

Cheers
Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

new storm jib under sail - very light wind but and hour later was about 15 knots
Mark

Post by Mark »

Mark wrote:
Dr. Peter wrote:So Mark, just to confirm, you have your stormy on a a staysail position?
Peter
Peter - I have it on a separate Halyard connected to a furler, the forestay sits in front of it. I took some photos today of the setup prior to going sailing and I'll post these in the next day or so to show my configuration.

Cheers
Mark