Topside cleaning - advice please

General Sailing Talk
Mark

Topside cleaning - advice please

Post by Mark »

I am getting ready to finally clean the deck areas of my boat after all the work has almost been completed. Its not badly stained but dull and a clean and polish will really bring it up nicely. I seek advice on:

1. the best cleaning agents, locals all swear by oxalic acid, if thats the go then what are the ratios of acid to water used?
2. After cleaning should I then use a sealer?
3. After sealing I need to wax right? Whats the best to use?

All advice most welcome.

Thanks

mark
Dr. Peter

Re: Topside cleaning - advice please

Post by Dr. Peter »

Mark,
I just used a cutting compound and a buffing machine. I did not polish the topsides only the hull. Came up pretty good.
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Mark,

I recently had to restore the surface of a boat that had been sorely neglected. (see first pic)

1. You will need some elbow grease. Mixed with perspiration, this is often effective on its own.

2. Try a pressure hose. It will remove most things except ingrained stains. In the third pic you can see the difference between where I have hosed and the original surface.

3. After this, get you hands on some pool chlorine. Mix it with two parts water (half litre of chlorine to one litre of water will be heaps). Working in the open air and wearing protective clothing, gloves, eye wear and breathing apparatice, scrub the surface with this mix and leave for 5 mins before using the pressure hose again. See pic.

4. Oxcilic acid is good but aggressive and you will have to reseal the surface. It is best 'saved' for rust stains, which is what it is best for.

5. Polish with a fibreglass polish. Do not use car polish. I recommend that you do not polish the non-slip areas (obviously). Get you hands on a 7 inch ginder with a polishing wheel/wool cover thingy. It works a treat.

Cheers, Robert
Attachments
before cleaning.JPG
After the chlorine_1.jpg
Pressure hose only.jpg
no way

Post by no way »

I use proprietary "gel coat restorer" which is an acid. My boat lives in freshwater and gets a brown stain for about 250mm up the hull so 2-3 times a year just wipe the stuff on and rinse off in five.
Definitely agree with a pressure wash to start.
Also remember that the original waxed surface coating of the gelcoat degrades with age (sun and water) and becomes porous - hence the ingrained stains - so you will need to build that surface again with wax and and maintain it with polish.
At worst you can go back to 600 wet/dry and go thru the whole compound/ buffing bit.
Meguairs (yes they make auto polishes) used to make some great gelcoat waxes which were used industry wide on moulds to give the that "show boat shine"
And yes, DON'T get wax near the non-skid.
Happy cleaning
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks everyone for the useful advice, I'll get scrubbing!