Furling Jib

General Sailing Talk
no way

Re: Furling Jib

Post by no way »

The system on the Careel was designed(and originally manufacturered)by the late Geoff Nelson the owner of C18 no.12.
It came about because the only furler available at the time was too light for the halyard pressure applied to the top swivel and as a result the sail just twisted at the bottom. The system allows the mast to be stood with a forestay, the jib to be hanked on to the stay, and raised and lowered at will albeit with some difficulty because a crew member had to be on the bow where the halyard was - but it is intended to be a FURLER and was never meant as a reefing method. The space between the halyard and stay meant the sail had something to wrap around rather than trying to twist a wire. Geoff also designed and manufactured the highfield levers used in C18 forestays. Over time there are probably off the shelf furlers, which solve the problem Geoff had to fix. I would suggest that any foil type reefing system is too expensive and cumbersome for the I563 unless its moored.
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi all:

On a related matter, I'm about to re-install my fittings for running the light line from my bow furler, back to the cockpit.

My current rig runs this line through saddles and staunchion base loops, right to the stern port quarter, then into the rear cockpit, just near where my outboard hangs.

Is there a more convenient and shorter route for this line? How do other boats run theirs?

I'm also installing a small cleat to tie the line off, once the furler is set.

Many thanks!
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Not sure why they would want to take the line that far aft. On Yara the original furling line ended about half way along the cockpit, with a small jamb cleat mounted on the toe rail. There was something similar on my Careel.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Folks,

When I originally obtained Palamida, she came with a furling foresail, with the drum at the base and a swivelling system at the top, musc the same as Wagtail describes.

Like Ian, I had unpleasant experiences with this foresail and opted to not use the furler and got my hands on a second-hand jib from a skiff (really good and stiff with semi-battons). This second jib was superior to the former foresail and as soon as I read about a simple system of hauling it down from the cockpit I went and bought the bit of rope and I have to say, that like Ian I am very happy with this set-up. Since then I bought a nice genoa ($200) off ebay, plus a storm jib and so I'm pretty committed to stay ing with this set-up.

However, I ought to say that my original foresail (which i gave away to Gunter) with its wire luff, was a bit worn and stretched, and a new one might be much better. Also, I did like have a wire luff, which allowed me to have a 'back-up' if the forestay gave.

To this end, I have been wondering about installing another forestay. That way I'd have a back-up and also another forestay to have a secondary sail clipped onto and ready to go. Saving a trip to the bow in rough weather.

Cheers, Robert