Spinnaker costs

General Sailing Talk
geoffr

Spinnaker costs

Post by geoffr »

Hi all:

Does anyone have an idea how much a new or SH spinnaker might cost for an Investigator, and where to hunt for such things (apart from ebay)?

More importantly, what's the Investigator like sailing with a kite; is it worth the cost and effort?

Many thanks!
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
rosss

Re: Spinnaker costs

Post by rosss »

Hi Geoff
New Kites cost about 1000 dollars if you wanted a second hand one it needs to be the correct I & j mesurment if not it will not set well ,you will not be satisfide with flying it. Rita & I had wagtails Kite custom made by Irwin sails 03 95557328, we can use it For 180 dergrese beam reech to beam reach .Asermetricals are not a very usefull sail so dont bother !
Regards Ross :geek:
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi Ross:

Thanks for this info - very useful to know for future budgeting.

This is not a high priority (yet) for me; I suspect a few other things such as a bimini for summer cruising might take precedence.

Cheers!
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Hi Geoff,
I have decided to buy and fit a code 0 spinnaker, not standard I know, but sailmaking and sail design has moved on apiece since these boats were first built and, as I'm only interested in cruising my Investigator, who cares about class rules. It cost about me about $1400 from Eastwind Sails. BTW I have to put in a plug for sailmaker and owner of Eastwind Sails, Dave Turner, who has been just excellent.

If you want to stay with a standard spinnaker I suppose you need to decide is it for downwind or do you want something a little shyer. Also, consider the competency of your crew. For example, madam mate, on my boat is not fond of spinnakers. And is usually invited to helm whenever they are set.

I have not run one up my Investigator mast but I reckon my old Flying 15 spinnaker would not be far off the mark as far as fit. You should be able to find one for not too much money. Hell, I'd give you mine to try out and keep since you are almost a neighbour.

Just getting back to the class rules. Do we need to modify ours? The Timpenny Association who recently held their national titles at my club (Yarrawonga YC) had two divisions. The cruising division did not set spinnakers. I reckon a code 0 should be considered as a cruising sail IMHO.

Peter
Pip #127

Commodore Yarrawonga YC
Peter
Pip #127
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Thanks for this info Peter - very interesting!

As I said, I'm in no screaming hurry to venture down this path, as I know I would have similar hesitation with my crew.

Re the cruising division: our club is organising the Queenscliff to Geelong race in October this year, and our cruising division in that race will exclude the use of spinnakers - just to make it fairer to sailers not keen to fly a kite, even if the conditions are very light.

It will be interesting to see how many entries we get. Please let me know if you or anyone else from Yarrawonga plan to haul on down for this event.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Off track from original thread but some details ref race please and I'll pass them on.

Peter
Investigator Pip #127
Maricat 2416
Commodore Yarrawonga YC
Peter
Pip #127
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Peter:

Details of race are available on the GTYC website, and I'll post these in a separate thread on this site too.

Regards,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Olmate-sail156

Post by Olmate-sail156 »

I got one from Alan Barber from Secondsail at Brookvale for $400 which was from a Dragon (skiff) I think and was pretty much the regulation dimensions. He advertises on Ebay and is approachable by telephone.
It's really good.
Graeme. Olmate Sail 156.
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Geoff,Ross and Dr Peter,

Here is a post of Wagtail with the kite up.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertB4170 ... LmwoDeh5vI

The Investigator loves the kite and in the following clip we overtake a Sonata and a McGregor as we pull away from the Careels whilst under spinnaker.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertB4170 ... 52Scirvivo

Cheers, Robert