refuge cove

General Sailing Talk
rosss

refuge cove

Post by rosss »

Hi all Rita & I decided to sail to Refuge Cove WilsonsProm last weekend . We drove down to PortAlbert on friday night slept on the boat in the car park and riged Wagtail in the morning.
Light northerly winds about 4kt (its about 25nm south) Spinnaker & motor sail .We caught 2 fish
for dinner , we arived at 3pm beautiful anchorage. Sunday was a relax day. A storm blow through on sunday night. We got moving about 7am on monday a southerly was blowing 12- 18kt we put the kite up straight away!! we averaged 7.5 kt and max speed was an amazing 10.2 kt
don't try this at home kids (I race 15ft skiffs :P ) this yacht handled really nice.Don't be scared to put your kite up the more you use it the easier it gets.
Dr. Peter

Re: refuge cove

Post by Dr. Peter »

Did you plane?
Surf?
Or a bit of both?
Those are really good numbers.
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
rosss

Post by rosss »

Hi Peter
It didn't plane but it did surf down the waves when they were short and sharp. It is was possible to go even faster, but you need 20 plus kt and be willing to damage your kite! I should have cantted the center board back a little but i was rather busy flying the kite. by canting the board back it stops the boat trying to trip over the board ie the boat will bear away easier under load. We have an awesome purposemade rudder which is balanced. It is longer than the original design rudder and is a naca foil. The foil shape does not cavitate at high speeds. Our original rudder cavitated after about 6 knots. we can also back up on the beach and pull it up out of the water. :geek:
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

rosss wrote:We have an awesome purposemade rudder which is balanced. It is longer than the original design rudder and is a naca foil. The foil shape does not cavitate at high speeds. Our original rudder cavitated after about 6 knots. we can also back up on the beach and pull it up out of the water. :geek:
Hi Ross,
I would love to know more about your rudder (any pictures?). I sail a Maricat round the cans and my rudders kick under my transoms a fair way. I could not believe the spade of a thing that comes original on an Investigator. See my comments elsewhere about weather helm.
Peter
Peter
Pip #127