Bay to Bay race video clip

General Sailing Talk
RobertB

Bay to Bay race video clip

Post by RobertB »

Hi Folks,
Here's a link to a small clip from day one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=852Scirvivo

It was heartening to find that the little Investigator performed well against other models.

Cheers, Robert
Yara50

Re: Bay to Bay race video clip

Post by Yara50 »

Robert
Nice clip. You said something about having the spinnaker up, but could not see it. Was it set high?
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Ian,

The spinnaker halyard goes to the top of the mast and thus it is rather high. I do not have a lot of experience, but, compared to the other contestants, my spinnaker did not seem to reach down and back as much as other spinnakers. There were some that were like mine and still others that were flat looking. The spinnaker on the 'Couta boat' was emormous.

At one point when we experimented with getting more belly into it we let the halyard out about half a meter and this did achieve this, but did not influence performance (as measured on the gps).

It all was a learning experience. I was surprised that we overtook the Farr 6000, the sonata 6 and an RL28. The Farr had a smallish spinnaker though. The conditions were light, and I would like to do it again in stiffer breezes as the Investigator with its ballast might even perform better.

Cheers, Robert
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

couta boat
Attachments
couta boat
couta boat