Thinking about buying an Investigator 563

General Sailing Talk
karl69

Thinking about buying an Investigator 563

Post by karl69 »

G,day to all.
I currently own a Redwitch trailable yacht [20ft with a fix keel] which has been a great 1st yacht and have enjoyed racing and cruising on Lake Macquarie. After owning the Redwitch for 2 years my wife and kids have finally started to come sailing with me so i would like to get somthing a little more comfortable. The Investigators look a lot more roomier and dryer with the higher free board, but i am interested to no how they would go as far as speed and stability compared to the Redwitch. Im on a tight budget and was hoping to get somthing for under $6000. i dont mind if it dosnt have a trailer as i am planing to keep it on a mooring but if it does have a trailer that would be a plus.

P.S. I have got a good Redwitch for sale includes 4hp Johnson and mooring at Summerland pt for $3500
Yara50

Re: Thinking about buying an Investigator 563

Post by Yara50 »

To be honest, I wonder if the Investigator 563 is much bigger than the Red Witch. It probably is a drier boat, but performance wise I doubt it could beat the RedWitch. One of our racing types can look up the relative handicaps and tell you.
Personally, if I was looking for a boat to keep on a mooring, I would stay with a fixed keel and look at something in the 22 to 24 ft range. I think I recently saw a Top Hat 25 for the sort of money you are prepared to spend. These boats would have sink and stove, and more room to move below decks.

Perhaps one of our Lake Mac boys can show you the Investigator close up. Ozzie are you there?
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Hi gents just logged in for 5 mins before hitting the hay. No worries Ian, be glad to show Karl over Spritzig II

Karl send me pm and we can arrange a sail if you are interested. I am moored and there are pros and cons. 563 is dry but not perhaps roomy enough for a overnighting a family too often . Anyway can't hurt to look. Not sure if the one moored at Valentine is still for sale but it was well looked after.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Another potential convert here, coming from a Dennis TS500. I'd really like to get a look at and possibly sail on an Investigator before I get too carried away.

I'm in Melbourne, though I also get down to the Gippsland Lakes pretty regularly and up to Peechelba (near Yarrawonga, home of the weird green Dennis) occasionally. I'm not averse to travelling to buy a boat, I've just been over to Adelaide to look at a couple of boats.

I mostly sail (and rig, launch and retrieve) solo and I've been put off the Investigator in the past by the weight and the hull shape with the long shallow fixed keel. But hey, if retrieving is a problem then improved technique and an electric winch should fix that?

I'm pretty keen to avoid a tandem trailer if possible, partly to keep my tow weight down; speaking of which, do we have any accurate figures for the weight of an Investigator on a trailer?

Graham

(And yes, I'm zebedee from TSP.)
Potential convert to Investigating.
Olmate-sail156

Post by Olmate-sail156 »

Graham,
Rigging, launching and retrieving solo are no drama on the Investigator.
I have a yoke on an extendable tent pole sitting on the lower rudder pintle and clamped to the top one which the mast sits on to be fitted to the foot. Then I lift it as high as I can and clamp it there, go up the front and pull it up the rest of the way with the forestay.
Launching and retrieving depend a bit on ramp and wind conditions .
I've only got a manual winch and it does the job OK. Looked at fitting an electric one once but decided it wasn't worth the trouble.
Graeme
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

I havent personally put my rig on a weighbridge, but I understand that boat +trailer comes in at around 1200 kg. Nearly all are on single axle tilt trailers. We tow with a 4 cylinder Subaru Liberty. Only dramas I have retrieving single handed is in cross winds, but I guess that applies to most boats. The trailer is fitted with "retriever mates" but I dont like forcing it in a cross wind as it does apply a large load to the cable and the bow of the boat, as well as marking the gel coat, even though I bought the higher quality Australian made version.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Olmate-sail156 wrote:Graham,
Rigging, launching and retrieving solo are no drama on the Investigator.
I have a yoke on an extendable tent pole sitting on the lower rudder pintle and clamped to the top one which the mast sits on to be fitted to the foot. Then I lift it as high as I can and clamp it there, go up the front and pull it up the rest of the way with the forestay.
OK, so a little more technique than a smaller boat, but nothing dramatic.
Olmate-sail156 wrote:Launching and retrieving depend a bit on ramp and wind conditions .
I've only got a manual winch and it does the job OK. Looked at fitting an electric one once but decided it wasn't worth the trouble.
Graeme
I suspect the real benefit of an electric winch is being able to be in two places at once. But once again, with care and technique, I've always been able to cope with retrieving my current boat in difficult conditions.

What did make a difference was learning exactly what worked for launching and retrieving. For launching my current boat, the trailer needs to be far enough in that the boat won't hit bottom, but not so far it doesn't slide/roll down the trailer properly. Get it wrong and you can be there all day. For retrieving, I put the trailer in as far as I can and float the boat about 60% of the way on, but in difficult conditions it's worth not putting the trailer so far back until the boat is winched part way up the trailer so it's properly centred and stable, then fully immersing to make the last half easier.
Yara50 wrote:I havent personally put my rig on a weighbridge, but I understand that boat +trailer comes in at around 1200 kg. Nearly all are on single axle tilt trailers. We tow with a 4 cylinder Subaru Liberty.
1200kg is well within my tow capacity, thanks.
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi Graham:

We have two Investigators in our club at North Geelong: mine, which is almost ready for a relaunch this summer after its year-long refurb; and another that's happily sailing.

You are most welcome to pop down any weekend for a look and a sail.

Just check out our sailing calendar on the Geelong Trailable Yacht Club website at http://www.gtyc.com.au ; we race every second Sunday, and cruise about in-between.

Let me know if you wish to come down; just send me a PM.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

geoffr wrote:Hi Graham:

We have two Investigators in our club at North Geelong: mine, which is almost ready for a relaunch this summer after its year-long refurb; and another that's happily sailing.

You are most welcome to pop down any weekend for a look and a sail.

Just check out our sailing calendar on the Geelong Trailable Yacht Club website at http://www.gtyc.com.au ; we race every second Sunday, and cruise about in-between.

Let me know if you wish to come down; just send me a PM.

Cheers,
Hi Geoff,
As you may have seen over in TSP, I'm planning on sailing from St Kilda this Sunday (the MTYC opening day) and probably coming down to Queenscliff next weekend. I'll contact you when my plans firm up for next weekend (mainly the weather).

Graham
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi again Graham:

If you're still in the market for an Investigator, then I know of one that will be readvertised very soon on eBay, located on the Mornington Peninsula.

I've not seen this boat, but I'm told it's pretty good - and certainly worth a look given the expected bargain asking price.

I'll let you know once I see it relisted again on eBay.

Cheers,
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia