Sailmaker

General Sailing Talk
Dr. Peter

Sailmaker

Post by Dr. Peter »

Is there a sailmaker out there forum members have used to make their sails that they could recommend?
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Re: Sailmaker

Post by Dr. Peter »

Dr. Peter wrote:Is there a sailmaker out there forum members have used to make their sails that they could recommend?
Peter

Moot point - I have decided to try Eastwind sails who are recommended sailmakers for Maricats - my round-the-cans boat. I need sails for it as well as the Investigator
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Dr. Peter wrote:
Dr. Peter wrote:Is there a sailmaker out there forum members have used to make their sails that they could recommend?
Peter

Moot point - I have decided to try Eastwind sails who are recommended sailmakers for Maricats - my round-the-cans boat. I need sails for it as well as the Investigator
Peter
Sails have arrived. I can't fault Dave Turner, the sailmaker for service. I am looking forward to bending them on and trying them out at Paynesville this coming weekend.
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

[/quote]
Sails have arrived. I can't fault Dave Turner, the sailmaker for service. I am looking forward to bending them on and trying them out at Paynesville this coming weekend.
Peter[/quote]

Very impressed with the sails. They fitted perfectly and performed really well in the conditions we experienced which ranged between 5-10 knots.

My jib is a furling kind as per technical criteria found elsewhere. I did specify a UV strip on the leech.

For my mainsail I was inspired by a picture on this forum where the battens were parallel to the boom rather than perpendicular to the leech (I can't find the picture now but I did copy it). This makes rolling the mainsail a snap. I also specified three reinforced cringles in the leech as reefing positions to stop the boom dropping when reefing. The luff was a bolt-rope type and rolled around the boom. We did not use a vang.
DSC00183_edited (Medium).JPG
DSC00183_edited (Medium).JPG (24.02 KiB) Viewed 5659 times

In light airs the boat drifted quite well as long as we both sat to leeward and kept everything loose and open.

Reaching in up to 10 knots required repositioning of the jib sheets to open up the slot and the performance was excellent.

Beating in the same conditions threw up some interesting observations which may be due to the centre-plate not lowering.

Weather-helm when beating was in my opinion excessive and given that the rudder is a great spade of a thing that cannot be kicked under the transom. We tended to ease the main to counteract the helm. Then I decided to try the first reef position. TRANSFORMATION!!!!! The weather-helm was now slight and the boat went faster and more importantly we could sheet on and power up.

I think Dave Turner (Eastwind Sails) has done an excellent job for a fair price. My boat does not have a technical set up and so relies on the sails to do their work without a lot of interference.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Peter
Did you manage to drop the centre board fully? Strange that you are having weather helm problems, as the Investigator 563 is a well balanced boat. Notice that in the picture you posted (I think that is Robert B in Palamina) the mast rake was excessive, and that would cause weather helm. It was early days for Robert, and he pretty soon corrected the rake.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

No we never did get the plate down. We will get the boat up in the air and have a look soon.

I am reluctant to make a call that the boats suffer from excessive weather helm before sailing the boat with a functional centre-plate.

I did not copy the rake, only the parallel battens. Worked a treat.

I only mention the reefing observation and better beating because I suspect a stuck centre-plate does occur from time to time.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Peter
Found this US site that had Investigator 563 sail dimensions!!
http://www.sailritesails.com/ShowAd.asp ... SourceID=0
The way the $A is going might be worth a look.
cheers
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Note also that if you do not use a vang this can cause some weather helm by moving the centre of effort of the mainsail aft.
The Investigator 563 can sail to windward without the centreboard, however the pointing angle is rather poor.
Ian B
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

The point I'm making, Ian, is that putting in the first reef helped on beat. The weather helm was modest and the boat seemed to be pointing quite well based on telltales on the shrouds.
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

By pointing I mean distance made good to windward. She will line up with the wind OK, but without the centre board she slips sideways through the water. If you are beating to windward along a shore line, this factor becomes clear, as you will make far less headway compared to when the board is down.
Ian B