Storage and use of space

General Sailing Talk
solo

Re: Storage and use of space

Post by solo »

Hi Emrys
Thanks for the pictures. I still go by the old saying " one picture is worth a 1000 words"
Gunter
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Hi Guys. Just spent my first 5 days on the boat. after breaking the rudder, falling in the drink in front of the pub trying to sail up to the jetty, mountains of problems with the motor, rigging and water leaks :x I think i could write a book about these 5 days of 'blood, sweet and tears'. but anything 30 years old and neglected is sure to require some TLC. But what an awesome little boat, love the way it works :D .
Which comes to a question, always questions LOL.
I short tacked up a few skinny channels, punching into a 15 to 20 kmh wind with swing keel up, no problem.
Q: Do the investigators, require the swing keel to function to 95,96,97,98,99% of effeciency?
I look under lots of longer keel boats with less keel surface than the investigator and they function properly.
Thanks again for any advice.
ps. think i saw an article about how to mod rudder to swing can anyone give direction?
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

kevwr400 wrote: Ps, Peter, hope to be down the lakes over that weekend if I am I will look you out. :-)
We'll look out for you.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

ggg
Copy (2) of IMG_0047.JPG
Copy of IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
Here is my contribution to finding that extra storage. The storage, is under the cockpit floor, aft of the six plastic tub stogage system [ thank you 007 ]. It consists of a plastic bladder [ approved plastic], with a capacity of approx. 55 litres
The bladder is rectangular in shape, with a filler spout on the upper side. Filling is via a filler cap fitted into transom. Tes bladder has two grommets at the upper or filler end, which attach to two bolts set into floor. To avoid chaffing the bladder rests on a high density poly mat. Rubber strapping helps hold the bladder in position.
The outlet elbow fits snugly in the valley of floor where plastic hose and plumbingl lies unaffected by the plastic buckets.
Whilst the system is gravity fed to the lower section it needs to be pumped up to the tap which is located in the step area. Pumping is electric or manual, depending upon valve arrangement
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Wow! Very sophisticated! How did you get in to that area under the cockpit sole? Even with the step removed I felt like I would get stuck against the centreboard pipe. (Maybe I need to lose some weight.)
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG

Hi Ian, thanks for your interest. I have added a couple of more photos to further explain the installation
Photo 1 . shows filling cap in transom with spider on guard duty. Photo 2 shows hand pump- note step removed for this shot.
The actual installation involves assembling bladder/straps/and anti chaffing mats as shown in photo. Then with cabin step removed the unit is pulled up the inclne using a cord through hole in transom. The mats / strap / bladder / strap are then secured to the two s/s bolts , accessible via hole in transom.
The hardest part was training the anti terrorist spider to bite only those who intend to poison the water supply and NOT to bite crew members
Roscoe