Storage and use of space

General Sailing Talk
kevwr400

Storage and use of space

Post by kevwr400 »

Hi, new to the 'Investigator', new to this sight. I have stepped up from an 'Ultimate 16' which was a fantastic boat, but it had no room for a head :-( I have always loved the Investigator's hull shape, so when the opportunity arose I purchased one. So back to my question, 'storage and use of space' could anyone please help with pictures or ideas on how to organize or use cabin space to its fullest, lockers, shelf’s etc, is it possible to use space under cockpit floor on runners, any help would be much appreciated. I love to cruise the Gippsland lakes and are always looking for ways to do it comfortably
Ps, Peter, hope to be down the lakes over that weekend if I am I will look you out. :-)
TheMonk

Re: Storage and use of space

Post by TheMonk »

Hello Kev, good choice in boats, I'm new to my I563 too. Regarding storage and under the cockpit specifically. I found an image on this site where someone had joined 3 rectangular buckets together which then slid up aft from within the cabin under the cockpit. One row of buckets on each side of the CB cable housing, 6 buckets. I copied the idea and it stores a lot
of gear.

My investigator, sail #53, has storage under the V berth which, I believe, only exists on the early models. Later models were sealed for buoyancy purposes. I also have a shelf on either side of the "main" cabin which holds a fair bit too.

Hope this helps, John.

Edit :- go to Gallery page then "under the cockpit sole" by Yara for some pics.
Last edited by TheMonk on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
graham5494

Post by graham5494 »

Gidday all . On this topic has anyone got a photo of a table installation ? Do I need to install a centre-board case to mount the table on ? Also where is the table stowed when not in use ?

graham5494
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Welcome Kev
John I'm that someone who used the blue window cleaner buckets (Bunnings). After lots of experimentation I found those buckets are the best fit for under the cockpit.[three a side with the handles down towards centre linked by shaped alloy flat bar (Bunnings again!)]. The beauty of them is you can use the handles to haul your stores in and out of the boat.
As for the rest of the boat after much experimentation I found the boat splits into distinct areas. Mine is a later model investigator with open v-berth lockers:-
Forrard locker for dual Batteries (SS404H agm's southside batteries)
Port v-berth locker general foodstuffs (in plastic containers).
Stbd v- berth locker for water - I use 10litre inflatable plastic carriers three in a row with a plastic hose leading out through the drain bung under the floor and and up the centre board lift pipe under the cockpit floor and under the port cockpit seat to a tap on a sink which slides under the port cockpit seat.
Perishable foods and drinks I store in a 50 litre Chilco esky in the stbd cockpit locker (just fits). Anchors and manual bilge pump aft of the esky with large hose from bilge pump leading down under the cockpit between the buckets into the bilges. I also have two electric bilge pumps with auto switch in the bilge with smaller black hoses leading back with the manual bilge hose and into the rear stbd locker into two transom outlets.
Port cockpit locker I use for general sailing gear - jackets ropes fenders clothing etc - forrard of this is the petrol tank and washboards stored flat.
I also reversed the cabin floor which gives access to the forrard bilge area where I store toolbox and tools - further aft cans and heavy gear either side of the centre board casing.
I am currently installing a solar panel in front of the mast to charge the battery not in use through a regulator box. This 40 watt panel ('Solar Steve') I can move and hang over the aft pushpit (stbd) as well.
I'm rambling but this is a passion of mine and you have chosen a beautiful little boat Kevin. It was also the hull shape that drew me in. Just like a Spitfire or Marilyn Monroe - it looks right.
All hail Kevin Shepherd.
Good luck with your fitting out.
Sorry for all the company references but I find it saves heaps of time when using recommendations -definitely no affiliations.

P.S. Graham
I have made runners to house the 'table' under the stbd cockpit seat below the switch panel. It doubles as a chart table and can be removed and used as the v-berth insert as originally intended.
As a practical table the previous owner used an excellent portable table called a 'table-mate 2' which is available from dynamic distribution stores in NSW approx $20.
This plastic table is easily stored and fits neatly into the cabin and cockpit.
cheers
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Hello Emrys, yes I plagerised your good work. Regarding your referal to "reversing the cabin floor", I'm not quite with you there, did you pull the actual floor up, is it not symmetrical? I had mine up too, am I misreading it?

Thanks too for the info on the portable table, in regards to the V berth/chart table modification,how do you fix this insert so that you can use it as a table?

Off topic, I saw 2 Investigators 563's yesterday, both parked, one at Monavale the other a Manly, I'm starting to see them everywhere!
John.
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Hi john
If this was the US I'd sue, only kidding.
The cabin sole / floor I pulled up and turned it around so forrard is aft and aft is forrard but still same way up!! (I trimmed off a fraction each side as it is not quite symmetrical) .The reason I did all this was that I found the wooden inspection cover did not inspect anything other than the unused part of the centre board casing. In turning it around I could utilise all the space forrard (after grinding away the rusty iron keel hook) and half way back of the centre board + have access to the infamous cb bolt.
The large v-berth insert/chart table I do not use as a table - not enough room in my opinion the smaller plastic table my predecessor used is much easier and more practical esp for myself and the mrs.
Apologies for long winded and obscure descriptions I'll post photos up in tech section after completing my fit out.
Cheers

Emrys
kevwr400

Post by kevwr400 »

Thanks for all the info guy's, will look into the modifications for more storage.
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Emrys, yep, got you now. Good thinking, not Swiss are you? I've re-stuck my floor with sikaflex so it'll be hard to get up again. Just extracted my centre board pivot bolt, should have done it with the floor out! Anyway, next job is my CB as per my post.

So I might skip the convertible V berth/table and go with table-mate II, too.

John.
solo

Post by solo »

Hi Emrys
You seem to have an interesting arrangment. Do you think you could hang some pictures on?
Gunter
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Hi Gunter
Attachments
stbdcockpitlocker.JPG
reversedfloor.JPG
reversedfloor storage.JPG

Emrys