outboard motors

General Sailing Talk
Dr. Peter

outboard motors

Post by Dr. Peter »

Finally getting round to working on the new acquisition which came without an OB motor. I already had an 8 hp Yamaha 2 stroke dual thrust that pushes my Hartley 18 River Camper around. So I initially wasn't bothered. But here's the rub.

I have not used the Yamaha with the I563 on the water but it just looks enormous hanging off the bracket and an awful long way from the transom. I'm not keen to lift it up and down to be honest.

Has anyone tried something smaller (ie less powerful than the 8 hp and lighter than 27kg)?

How did you go?

Peter
Pip #127
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Re: outboard motors

Post by Yara50 »

The 5 hp Mariner long shaft is a very common motor for our boats and it is around your target weight. Some boats have 4 hp, and I think that is also adequate.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Yara50 wrote:The 5 hp Mariner long shaft is a very common motor for our boats and it is around your target weight. Some boats have 4 hp, and I think that is also adequate.
Thanks, Ian.
Peter
Pip #127
sol invictus

Post by sol invictus »

I have had a honda 5hp 4 stroke on Sol Invictus for a year and it has been fantastic. quieter and not as smelly as a 2 stroke and easy enough for me to lift
it pushes her at 6.3 knots over flat water (more than hull speed) and i have done over 4 knots in to the chop against 30 knot winds. has even gone under for e few secs and it never missed a beat.
Steve
Investigator "Sol Invictus"
Melbourne
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

sol invictus wrote:I have had a honda 5hp 4 stroke on Sol Invictus for a year and it has been fantastic. quieter and not as smelly as a 2 stroke and easy enough for me to lift
it pushes her at 6.3 knots over flat water (more than hull speed) and i have done over 4 knots in to the chop against 30 knot winds. has even gone under for e few secs and it never missed a beat.

That sounds interesting - I'll check out the specs. Thanks for that Sol.
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Dr. Peter wrote:
sol invictus wrote:I have had a honda 5hp 4 stroke on Sol Invictus for a year and it has been fantastic. quieter and not as smelly as a 2 stroke and easy enough for me to lift

That sounds interesting - I'll check out the specs. Thanks for that Sol.
Peter
Mmm - weighs as much as my Yamaha 8 hp 2stroke. I'll keep looking
Peter
Pip #127
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Hello Peter, the power to weight ratio will always advantage the 2st. Is your 8hp Yammy a 2 cylinder? If so it will be as smooth running as a single cylinder 4st but with the oil fumes. The good ol' 2st are bullet proof so maybe keep him as a spare.

I have a 5hp Merc' 4st (which came with the boat) and sitting in the garage is a 7.5hp Evinrude 2st. My preference is the Merc', no fumes and considerably better distance per tank. If I was shopping around I'd be looking at something with a battery charger.
John.
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

TheMonk wrote:Hello Peter, the power to weight ratio will always advantage the 2st. Is your 8hp Yammy a 2 cylinder? If so it will be as smooth running as a single cylinder 4st but with the oil fumes. The good ol' 2st are bullet proof so maybe keep him as a spare.

I have a 5hp Merc' 4st (which came with the boat) and sitting in the garage is a 7.5hp Evinrude 2st. My preference is the Merc', no fumes and considerably better distance per tank. If I was shopping around I'd be looking at something with a battery charger.
John.
My Yamaha 8hp is a twin cylinder 2 stroke and runs at 100:1 (fumes have never been an issue). It still has a job to do on my river cruiser but on that the OB bracket is fixed and once the motor is down it is rarely lifted again. Obviously this won't do for a sailing boat.

I just checked the specs for the Mariner 5 stroke 4 hp which is 25 kg not much weight advantage. The 2 stroke is much lighter at 20kg. I like the one-handed operation too. I'm getting a quote.

Matt had a fantastic new electrical system installed before I bought the boat - it has a a gel battery and a solar panel. But would like to be able to charge it with the motor too - especially once we start making real demands on the electrical system.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

It turns out a guy I sail with a lot - he has a Timpenny 770 also owns a Mariner 5hp 2 stroke which he is willing to sell to me for not too much dough (The guy has gone totally Honda and four stroke for yacht and tender). I spoke to our local dealer and the modern Mariner does not offer the twist-grip single-hand operation. The motors are made by someone else.

I have seen this motor in action and its a keeper.
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Trialled the 5hp 2stroke mariner and was quite pleased with it.

Note to self and others: When approaching dock engage neutral from forward gear and ensure motor is idling before engaging reverse (to slow down). Use of high revs and shifting straight from forward to reverse will see motor kick up, engage shallow drive position and completely FAIL to provide stopping power.

Should this happen - hold on tight as immoveable object (dock) will stop boat.

Don't worry - boat is STRONGLY built

Peter

PS Can Mariners be fitted with a dual thrust propeller? As per Yamaha 8hps.
Peter
Pip #127