WARNING Gumtree Scammers

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

WARNING Gumtree Scammers

Post by Ozzie »

:shock: I’ve seen nearly every form of scam over the years, some so dumb they are laughable. Just a quick warning of one that’s been hitting me a bit on gumtree lately. Things I’ve listed get an almost immediate response. The last one was less than a few minutes.

Old mate messaging you is most interested in your item and wants your email. Old mate also has only been a gumtree user since 2022… probably two minutes ago in 2022. User name will be an innocent sounding first name probably female .. although last dolt had his name first and used my name as his second name. 🤪🤪brilliant 🤣
This is simply a form of info harvest probably in order to set up identity theft.

Just in case it’s genuine I always point out to old mate that “messages on gummy always go to your linked email if you have one which saves us both divulging our emails to potential scammers “. Never a reply after that LOL

I’m even sure this is automated as there is not even a “READ “ Message attached to my reply. Meaning their system does not even monitor it unless it contains an email they can harvest.

I hope their jib sheets get caught in their fly ☠️
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Re: WARNING Gumtree Scammers

Post by Ozzie »

ABC NEWS Live: Scams, data breaches and keeping your info secure — our panel is here to help you unpack it all

Cant seem to copy the link but if you go to the ABC news website and check today coincidentally there is the story above which is fairly relevant. Hope you all avoided the Optus security stuff up. I guess we all get boat bits online or gummy so best advice is probably consider everybody a crook :twisted:

Your email password according to tech podcasts I’ve listened to is probably most important thing regarding security. If they have that, they can ask for new passwords for everything linked to that email. Don’t even give it to your mum.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Hey Ozzie,

Thanks for the heads-up and reminder. I work online and think I'm pretty cautious, but in the scenario you described, a potential purchaser asks for your email address, I don't know. I would possibly have not thought it through as well as you did.

Seller beware. Thanks mate.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Ta Geoff, I try to keep my kids and friends/relos up to speed on such scams. They are getting more and more frequent on my online existence. Most recent salvo is the multiple text message “ hi dad I lost my phone, my new number is 1800 BS yes BS and I need you to send me money”.

Plus I’ve had so many “your package is being held , phone this number to arrange new delivery date” messages it’s amazing they keep trying. Only downside of that one was I had a misaddressed package message from Australia Post last week that was genuine and I almost ignored it :evil:

These are often just trying to harvest little bits at a time. The gummy one above just want your email . BUT, they then have your first name and number from the ad, now they have your email . If the attempt to continue the fake purchase of your item they then ask your address for pickup and so it goes on.

The most terrible aspect of this is elderly people. My friend has an 92 year old mum still able to live at home but these scammers attempts to extort money for fake unpaid tax bills etc cause such people enormous stress. He has to try constantly to reassure her someone is not coming to repossess the tv etc. I don’t buy that major telcos can’t stop this happening. They are very good at tracking you down when they want money.

Anyway folks just use caution in your online dealings if buying boats or boat stuff. I have some links in regards to buying second hand boats and I’ll throw them up when I can locate where I referenced them
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Found these
$9.90 Boat & Jet-Ski Checks | REVS Check with PPSR Certificate. Google it for link
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-04/ ... c_news_web

Another timely warning today on good old ABC.
Two things they didn’t mention in the CAUTION section.
First scammers will usually have only been a member since current year and second will have no history or current items for sale or sold. The other red flags are mentioned. No negotiation for price and lightening quick response.

Be careful. Also remember that a hypertext link that says Aus post dot com dot au can just be an overlay for ######s R Us dot com, who wil steal your tonsils.

You can set up hypertext overlays on here if you want for text to go to a link and it’s simple to use it for nefarious purposes. Also educate your elderly relatives and children, particularly on that last point. If anyone sends you a legitimate looking link, never click on it. Hike back to your browser window and type it in fresh. And use a link from previous correspondence from the bank or institutions. Even a misplaced and not obvious alteration in a link can send you off to la la land rather than your legitimate bank Cheers 🤖
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hope I’m not boring members with this stuff but a new report again on abc news today worth reading.

The text appeared in the same thread as other correspondence from the bank, which lulled Ms Svenson into a false sense of security.

This is a scamming tactic called 'spoofing' where scammers overstamp the legitimate number that they are calling or texting on, appearing as if you are receiving communication from the legitimate number.

This is a scary one as you can be fooled if a text message is in a line of texts that were previously from a legitimate source. Rule of thumb is always go back to web browser and start fresh with a url YOU type in if your changing anything. Particularly if asked to set up two form verification . This too can be setting up further scam for the future. It is the silly season but dont be silly . Marvin signing out.🤖

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-10/ ... /101826866

Ps. If buying boat bits on Gumtree there is now a feedback for members there as well, similar to eBay. While lack of feedback may not brand the seller as a scammer, combined with new join date or no past seller history it’s another red flag. Just sayin’
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/ ... /101904064

From your ABC today 🤖 BRUSHING the new scam.

What a shame “brushers” don’t send me a free Tohatsu Sail Pro for review :D
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the anti-scam info ozzie, best to be forewarned and improve our scam awareness skills.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria