Electric outboards are getting better

General Sailing Talk
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Electric outboards are getting better

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, check out the latest in electric outboard motors. They sure are getting better and better
https://m.facebook.com/groups/566833633 ... 554388148/
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Electric outboards are getting better

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Peter, I don’t have FB, your link does open but it’s a menu of FB sites. Could you name the brand and I’ll try to dig up some other links :)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Sorry Ozzie. Perhaps this might help
Screenshot_20220922-205115_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220922-205600_Facebook.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks Peter. It’s an interesting equation to balance off upfront and ongoing costs . I get my outboards serviced regularly but it’s not cheap. The statement in the torqueedo blurb re “no service costs” is a powerful one. Then again fuel is pretty negligible for my boats , all of them, but a replacement battery when needed for anything electrical like your boat, motorhome house battery or outboard is substantial.

It’s much the same with roof solar and batteries. Pay now or pay later. Still questions to answer.

I’m still waiting to get my 4 hp Johnson back from my failing mechanic. I made a huge mistake leaving it with him as it’s still only partly done and he’s not well. I might finish up with two oars.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

You are quite right Ozzie. The old saying" Power cost money " stays true. As you say, pay now or pay later. The thing is that you pay, no matter what.
As technology gets better and more practical, it should get cheaper and everyone must decide for themselves when and if to spend the money and what to expect for it. The battery race is interesting as I believe the more they develop, the longer they will last. Just look at the hole Ni Cad cells with their memory effect and how that shortened battery life compared to the latest Lithium Iron replacements which do not have the same problem. Every year they are getting better and better and with the development of electric cars comes a whole new race for efficiency. It's very well worth having a really close look at what Tesla are doing both with battery and electric motor development, even the advances they have come up with since they first started producing the first cars not that long ago. We only have to keep up with the advancements via research.
Fascinating
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Just poking around on Practical Boat Owner and found this. Not saying it’s indicating they are all bad but like everything there are drawbacks. These things are not cheap. One would assume better longevity.

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thread ... on.591729/
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Ozzie wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:47 pm Just poking around on Practical Boat Owner and found this. Not saying it’s indicating they are all bad but like everything there are drawbacks. These things are not cheap. One would assume better longevity.

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thread ... on.591729/
That's not a good advertisement for Torqueedo's or their dealers. Like one ex-spray painter said in the thread, it could be a case of "Fridayitis" (or Mondayitis?) where he didn't do the paint prep work and just sprayed it to clear his backlog. Another guy mentioned don't wash it with detergent as that's corrosive (i've never done that, only water then spray with WD40)

my cousin has an electric outboard (not sure of brand) and loves it. It's used on a daysailing yacht tender. It's lightweight and goes home to recharge. OK for certain light usage situations like that,. Still it's big outlay upfront (and battery replacement cost high at ~$1,600 every 8-10years :shock: .), as long as my ancient suzuki2 keeps going that will do as a dinghy engine or backup for TS. Had it for years, it cost about $100 initally, then $60 for a fuel tap and some gearbox oil, bit rustic but works.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria