Towing warning

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Towing warning

Post by Ozzie »

Marvin the paranoid android says… we are currently travelling western New South Wales, not at an ideal time as we’ve finished up dodging floods. I’ve come across from Canberra to Forbes Via Eugowra and now heading north to Parkes. Sheet, the roads, to say the least are not good. Excess rain has caused lots of subgrade failure and bad potholing. Potholes, on major roads anyway, were for a time becoming rare. Last week we were at Port Stephens and the coastal roads there were not much better. At least out here they try and put up some warning signs. Even the Hume to Canberra is, in parts, reverting to the rough as bags ghost of itself which was once the deadliest road in the state.

Anyway, for goodness sake if you are towing your Investigator, or anything else for that matter, please take extra care at the moment. It’s bad enough dodging potholes in an ordinary vehicle, but a quick change of direction required when doing so and towing at the same time can land you in more than a pothole. Also remember that your boat trailer wheels are probably like mine 13 inch or even smaller if you’re using multiple alloy wheels and can disappear quickly in a moderately deep pothole.

Even with the 16 inch steel wheels on my Hilux some of these potholes were jarring my teeth out when I could not avoid them. Before we left I had the little Motorhome serviced and my mechanic said he’d had three customers in this week with cracked or bent alloy wheels. Cast alloy wheels (mostly what people use for road use) while they look good are not really up to the rigours of off road use. If you look up the difference between cast and forged wheels, as used in on and off road racing, you’ll understand the issues.

Safe towing.
8CD5109F-90FB-46BE-B167-CA8C97E8F1FB.jpeg
Outside of Orange. New road construction will have to stop soon as the repair budget will start to become enormous. If you blow this pic up you’ll see the serious pavement failure in the road ahead.
Last edited by Ozzie on Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Towing warning

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ozzie and thanks for the informative post.
On the subject of quality of roads, we are currently in WA having a tour around for a couple of weeks and have travelled from Perth up to Monkey Mia, quite a distance and I have been totally amazed at the quality of the roads over here. They are, without doubt, the best roads in Australia. Just about impossible to find a pothole. Honestly, they all look like they have only just been finished. It's incredible. A tour guide I was with today reckons it's because of the mining royalties the government over here are collecting and putting straight back into infrastructure. Other states could well take a lesson from WA
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

So true Peter, WA has excellent roads and few people to clutter them up . Given the extent of its network it’s absolutely the mining that’s gives the benefit. Last time we stayed in Margaret River I was mighty impressed by the general standard of living , charging stations for EVs way before they were common here. I remember noting the cycle ways had stands to put your bike up for repairs and get this …bike tools hanging on chains to use.

If only we had more minerals here …all we have in bulk in the east is politicians and they seem to have no economic benefit :lol: :lol: :lol:… sorry naughty…no politics here only if connected to boats :oops: :oops:
Happy travels We’ll be hitting the road again for a while after rain slows a bit and then home for pre-summer haulout.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Due to a change in family plans we ultimately decided to ignore my previous advice and travel to Canberra for Xmas. We left early on the 20th to avoid the Xmas travelling throngs ..or should that be nongs … and went for inland via Bylong Valley Way for a few days, unwinding at our favourite NSW country town Rylstone.

This turned out to be a good plan as there was no traffic and the town was pretty empty of tourists. We took our time which as per my earlier posts on this thread was mandatory. The roads out here are screwed beyond repair in many places and there is going to be a massive injection of federal funding required to fix this stuff. Think about it. This is infrastructure that’s been built up over a century and has been destroyed over months. I’m not optimistic about the future if this continues to happen.
8CDA82B3-A99B-49FF-A0F3-57109BE178A0.jpeg
If you enlarge or zoom this pic it’s bad . This is rebuild stuff and at the bottom of many sag curves in the vertical alignment of the roads.

Anyway two things. One is, we are going to make a point of visiting all the little towns out here again on our travels as soon as practicable. They need the cash influx from travelling folk and tourists as they are hurting quite a bit . So if you’re looking for a weekend away don’t overlook them. These country towns are great storehouses of history and wonderful places to visit. We got out of Eugowra about 8 days before it went under last month but we’re heading back soon to throw a few dollars around to help it get back on its feet and have donated to the flood appeal. Just watch the roads as I’ve mentioned.

Second thing and it always comes up after such disasters, be careful if buying cars in the next few years. Flood damaged cars will be on the market both privately and commercially. No doubt about it. It’s not hard to clean up a vehicle but the long term damage to electrical components particularly modern computerised stuff is going to bite you in the donkey in short order and there will be tears before bedtime. It happened to a friend of ours on a commercially bought car and there was lots of hassle. The type of vehicle that Investigator owners might like as tow cars e.g. dual cab 4wds will obviously figure in the common types. We are always careful not to go through water deeper than our axle hubs, as per pics I put up earlier, but submerge a differential without diff breathers and it can cause your hot diff to suck in cold muddy water. Most city slicker 4wd owners are not even aware of the problem and it can lead to long term damage if diffs are not drained, cleaned and refilled.

Don’t ignore the fact that city cars may have been driven through floodwaters to get out, or rural cars may have been shipped, relocated and reregistered in urban locations as camouflage .

Just sayin’. 🤖
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.facebook.com/reel/576455290 ... tid=0NULKw

My wife found this video on Facebook. Not protected so you don’t need to sign up. This is the Derby to Broome road. Or what’s left if it. We traversed this in 1994, well actually that road is now spread out in chunks over a few hundred square kilometres. To paraphrase Croc Dundee. The pics I put up before are not road damage… this is road damage.
C0DF3B4D-94C5-4F17-A9E7-780A7A794F34.jpeg
If you’re thinking of launching at Broome this weekend better give it a miss 🤖
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)