Investigators in Melbourne?

General Sailing Talk
Paddy
Investigator Boat Name: The answer my friend...

Investigators in Melbourne?

Post by Paddy »

Hello
Are there an boats in the melbourne area, would I be able to come have a look at your rigging.
We have recently purchased an investigator. it came with a mast, I think it is the right one it's just a bit short. I have replaced it and trying to work out the jib and fore stay/furler. Should it connect on the deck or with a 300mm extension so it sits up above the pulpit?

Look forward to hearing from you
Thank you
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Investigators in Melbourne?

Post by Ozzie »

Welcome Paddy. I’m sure someone close will be able to help. I looked and realised how hard it is to find a simple pic of the furler/forestay set up but here is Andrew’s.
6CC29F1C-1CEA-4C06-9BB5-27C856858E36.jpeg
6CC29F1C-1CEA-4C06-9BB5-27C856858E36.jpeg (60.7 KiB) Viewed 817 times
As you can see straight to the roller plate on the bow, although he has the better, larger, open Ronstan furler and not the dinky model that I have that comes standard.

This is the standard setup if such a thing existed, borrowed from a compass 18. It’s shown with the forestay vertical and mast on the angle for clarity.
29333804-D21F-40BE-B438-232557239024.jpeg
29333804-D21F-40BE-B438-232557239024.jpeg (33.61 KiB) Viewed 817 times
The tensioning block is not really needed . I use a solid tent spring which works fine . If you don’t use the furler you can rig a block to take the jib halyard down the mast and then to a cleat on the cabin roof. I do that if the wind is strong as the furler can sometimes be a liability if trying to reel it in in a blow. It’s great for light winds and just gunkholing around the lake/fishing etc as it keeps the foredeck uncluttered.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Investigators in Melbourne?

Post by Peter T »

Hi Paddy. It's interesting that you say your mast is a bit short. Do you know where the boat came from ? If it a West Australian boat, then they did have a smaller mast with some of them. If this is the case, you may also find that you also do not have a centreboard ? Why some WA boats were built like this, I do not know.
The photo that Ozzie has posted of the furler is a good option as it's large enough to furl the Genoa. On mine, I have a smaller dinghy style furler as in the attached photo. Not sure it is big enough though and I will probably change mine to a larger system.
My mast is off the boat and is hanging from my shed roof at the moment. If you need any measurements or photos of it, just ask. Hopefully you will find someone near you so you can have a look. I live in Tassie, so it might be a bit far to come. Anyway, if I can be of any help, just let me know.
Screenshot_20220823-192801_Gallery.jpg
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."