Sailing in winter.

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Sailing in winter.

Post by Ozzie »

I like winter sailing. Gentler breezes, at least when I go out, the sun is welcome instead of cooking your goose and no flies, mozzies and less water traffic.

My previous referenced thread covers things to be aware of, but I was just wondering what extras forum members would like to share on what they carry, do, plan when sailing in winter. Obviously, open water sailing requires extras as a matter of course, but with trailer sailing, often being day sailing you can get complacent I suppose.

I’ll kick it off by saying we carry a steamer wetsuit each in winter. Mainly for breakdowns, grounding or any non emergency situations that might require entering the water. My wife bought a quite good full suite at Aldi this year and has boots/gloves as well. I have full head cover, boots, gloves and such as if necessary I’ll be the one to go underwater if such a need arises. These don’t take up much room really and I’ve pressed our old superceded sailing bags to hold one each. My wife has one of my old full wool balaclavas which will sub in a pinch for head covering and I keep a sleeveless wool pullover for use under the wetsuit and under my jacket above decks if it gets real cold . If you don’t want a wetsuit, wool will work to a degree underwater to retain some heat and I’ve seen scuba guys using them years ago, but what’s your well-being worth.

Anyway, throwing it open, what to you add, hip flask, spare boat? Place has been a bit quiet lately so assume people are keeping warm. Good time to post ;)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Re: Sailing in winter.

Post by Greg »

I’ve got a pair of cheap eBay waders I wear to help retrieve the boat. I can walk down the trailer onto the mudguards if I’m careful but it’s a lot easier (and safer) to just walk into the water to snap the winch hook on. Especially at the Bayview park boat ramp where people in their fishing boats like to head in full steam then throw on reverse last second creating waves everywhere.

Otherwise I’ve got a pair of Aldi ski pants which do a great job of keeping you warm and dry from spray. I think I got these after someones advise on this forum a few years ago.
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Post by IanS »

Hi Ozzie,

I've been on the boat nearly every weekend for the past couple of weeks. Fantastic weather! I recently bought two pieces of clothing that have made this comfortable leaving home at 6:30AM. An Aldi special coat with fleece on the inside and windproof on the outside, and "thermal" trousers from Uniqlo
https://www.uniqlo.com/au/en/products/E439790-000

I've been tracking down a leak in the cabin which I think I finally solved. There was what I thought was glass reinforcing next to the shroud u-bolts. Turns out it was a dodgy repair of a large crack near the hull-deck joint :shock: . Now ground back and glassed up, fingers crossed. Also, plenty of mould to deal with :( .
Ian, Rhythm #121
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I think I may have recommended the Aldi duds Greg and I got them after a heads up from TSP. Still going strong. The Uniqlo pants look good too Ian. Funny about sailing stuff I have a Burke light duty waterproof zip up hoodie but it’s blue and white… almost camouflage if you fall overboard. My cheap Aldi tradies jacket is flouro orange and has a big reflective cross on the back and reflective stripe on the front and sleeves. I know which one would be seen.

I did a quick check on gumtree and if you have sailing children there’s heaps of second hand Aldi (Crain) ski clothes for sometimes very low prices if you want a cheap outfit for your junior crew.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)