Melamine and health issues

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Melamine and health issues

Post by Ozzie »

There is nothing like settling down with a good book after a days sailing...like the current RTM CATALOGUE.
No shares in the company but it’s a lot closer to me than WW and since Bias died it’s where I go most of the time. Anyway the new catalogue has a monstrous range which I was just browsing through the other day after sailing. Came across an article listing why RTM no longer sell melamine crockery. Turns out it’s a crock :shock: it has been implicated in kidney disease and indications are that if manufacturing processes are poor it can break down and get into your system.

I’m assuming some of you might have melamine crockery on your Investigator, we had plastic.

We however purchased a new melamine crockery set off eBay when we purchased the motorhome about three years ago and have had to replace the cups already as they are were breaking down with hot liquids and some deterioration in the bowls from hot food. We do not have a microwave so it was only the hot food that was doing it. The RTM article indicates the health problems that are associated with melamine and as such they have made the decision to no longer sell it. It is in their paper catalog but not repeated on their website unfortunately.

Emrys will no doubt think I’m indulging in paranoia again but you can do your own research on the subject and make your own decisions. We have chucked ours out and bought the two tone plastics set they are now selling as an alternative and you get 16 pieces for around $40 depending on plate size ( 4 each of tumbler,mug,bowl and plate) it’s still nice and light for boat use and I assume floats . It’s a starter pack and you can add extras or replace lost ones individually. I’ve tipped off close friends of ours who’s whole family suffer from Alports Syndrome, a devastating and potentially fatal kidney disease. They were unaware and are turfing out their melamine picnic sets. I think the rtm catalogue may be downloaded from the site.
A125CEF9-7765-4B49-BD64-E2FE9EE3CC52.png
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Re: Melamine and health issues

Post by Ozzie »

0BBE72EE-A0B9-4972-B741-8CEBDC72E9BC.png
Catalogue is downloadable. This is warning referenced above on page 51.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Thanks for that Ozzie, timely for me too. Been looking at getting a melamine set.

RTM is my go to shop but I didn't know about the catalogue, so thanks for that too.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hey Geoff, glad it helps . They are fairly helpful bunch. Some of the staff from local Bias relocated there after it went kaputnik. They have now relocated to the Supercentre at Bennetts Green at Lake Mac. Along with Bunny’s, Supercreep and Anaconda. RTM are in a very big store so with the others it’s a one shop stop area. The way of the world now, even though I’m sure it drives prices up paying rent in these mega shop complexes.

Interestingly, I was after some stainless bolts and the rack was partly empty. Salesman could not even give me a possible restocking date. They have just gotten over the supply glitches created by Covid and now floods and this insane war are creating a new set of issues. Still, small potatoes compared to problems elsewhere.

We should be so thankful to live where we do.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Yes mate its hard not to feel like you've won life's lottery.

RTM is the only real storefront option for me up here. They are in Bundy and Hervey Bay, which is where we go when we go 'to town'.

They have a pretty good range of fittings for rigging etc and prices are reasonable. More fun browsing there than at Bunnings.

Drop the wife off at Stockland then off I go.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ozzie, we have some plates that I thought are melamine. My wife reckons that they are not. She says they are corelle ware and that they are made of some sort of glass. They are white in colour and are supposed to be break proof. Do you know if in fact these would be melamine or not ?
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Peter, if they are Corelle , which we have for our homeware it usually has “Corelle” logo on the base...ours does. And you’re right it’s actually glass. I would use it in my boat/motorhome as it’s terrific stuff but heavy and won’t float. Unfortunately there is such a variety of melamine and sources of manufacturers that there seems to be a lack of regulatory requirements for it to be stamped as such. If you see, “ not microwaveable “ that might indicate it but even that is not mandated. I’d say even the heat of a dishwasher might degrade it.
66A09BFD-1B13-4A47-A352-4ECB93F37FF9.jpeg
I note if you do manage to break Corelle, which I have :oops: :oops: it does what most “unbreakable” glass does..shattering into 1000 sharp bits spraying across your kitchen...whoops. Still good stuff, still looks new after nearly 10 years.

Coda:- weighed my new set from RTM and all 16 pieces is less than 1.4kg
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Ozzie. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."