Mainsail

General Sailing Talk
Dan76
Investigator Boat Name: Sea Ester

Mainsail

Post by Dan76 »

Hi everyone,
I am Dan and am a new member. I purchased my I563 "Sea Ester" last year and have been sailing on the Tweed River where I live as well as a few trips to the Gold Coast Broadwater and Moreton Bay. The number on the mainsail is 109 but I am not sure if this is the actual boat number.

My mainsail is getting pretty old and after having a sailmaker reinforce the trailing edge with dacron tape it started to tear along the edge of the tape. I am hoping the forum can advise me of the most inexpensive way to get a reliable mainsail so I can get back out on the water.

Thanks guys.
Cheers,
Dan
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Re: Mainsail

Post by Greg »

Hi Dan,

Your main is pretty important mate, I wouldn’t be cutting corners. It’s where all your horsepower and control is - if it’s not performing your boat certainly won’t.

Shop around sail makers, see how much a good repair (actual repair not a bit of tape) versus a new one costs.

Unfortunately it’s hard to find a good second hand sail, there isn’t that many boats like ours around and similar size boats mains have different geometry. Jibs on the other hand are easy to find, I’ve picked up a few from gumtree.
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Welcome to the forum Dan.

My sails are originals but have been looked after and still making it for my light duty recreational use, but there are many people on here who race and also prefer the best performance so have upgraded to new sails . Maybe someone on here will see your post and be interested in selling you their previous sails that are still fine for normal use.

Any takers guys?

You could also try “wanted” advertising on gumtree or Facebook market place there may be Investigator owners out there browsing the boat section.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Dan76
Investigator Boat Name: Sea Ester

Post by Dan76 »

Thanks for the replies guys. It is probably not worth spending anymore on my old main as it is pretty UV damaged and brittle.

It would be great if someone had an Investigator main with a bit of life left in it that they wanted to sell but I imagine most of us would keep something like that as a spare.

With the age of our boats I thought there would be some forum members who have had to replace a main and was hoping to learn from their experience. Like if there is a sail maker that they have had a good or bad experience with or even if anyone had success with modifying another main to suit an I563. I know Sail Exchange in Sydney do this and the guy that did the repair on my sail was also prepared to do it.

I know there is going to be a cost involved but I am just trying to avoid wasting money like the unsuccessful $300 repair that I mentioned.

Thanks again for your help.