New Mooring

General Sailing Talk
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Re: New Mooring

Post by IanS »

Hi Peter, here's the hatch. Deck looking a little dirty after it's time n the boatyard...
Hatch 5.jpeg
Hatch 4.jpeg
Hatch 3.jpeg
Hatch 2.jpeg
Hatch 1.jpeg
Ian, Rhythm #121
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ian, thank you so much for these great photos. Most helpful.
By the way for everyone else as well, if you look closely at the bottom in the third photo, you can see a little tear drop shaped
drain hole. I recently went and looked at Private Eyes in Launceston for a prospective purchaser and I noticed this little drain hole but it was only on one side of the boat. I believe it is designed to be a drain for any water that gets into the fibreglass moulding around the edge of the hatch. I spoke to David about this and he said that there should be one on each side on the deck at each front corner of the hatch. I could only find one on Private Eyes and mine has none at all.
Ian, I would be interested to know if you have another one on the other side from the one in the photo.
For others, do you have the drains ? Sail NO? And one or two. These seem as though they may be on either early boats or later ones. Most interesting
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
IanS

Post by IanS »

Hi Peter, if you look in the second photo I think you can just make out the one on the right.
Ian, Rhythm #121
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ian, Unbelievably, I just went back and looked again and as you say, you can see both of them in that other photo. Interesting. Mine is sail NO 114 and has none
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
IanS

Post by IanS »

Perhaps the design is different and it doesn't need them. Does it leak inside?

My boat is remarkably dry inside (touch wood). The only leak is the port cockpit locker and I can't see how the water gets in, starboard one is dry.
Ian, Rhythm #121
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Private Eyes is 108 so I am guessing that somewhere between 108 and 114, they were done away with. Just a guess at this stage
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

IanS

Post by IanS »

Mine is 121
Ian, Rhythm #121
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ian, with the water leak in the cockpit locker, my guess is that there may be a leak around the join between the locker floor and the hull. I have purchased a roll of fibreglass tape and am going to lay the tape up over the join as it looks a bit suspicious on my boat. Not a big job, but even if it did leak there, I can't see how it could get into be bilge. I would think that it would just go into the flotation compartments.
I also have just purchased a very small endoscope that plugs into my phone so I will soon drill a small hole in each of the flotation tanks so I can poke the camera down in there to check it out. I have read that these compartments are full of foam ,but I am going to have a looksee
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Well Ian, I have no idea then. 108 has one drain, 114 none and 121 has 2. Beats me. Perhaps some builders installed them and some did not ?
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

My understanding is that your assumption is correct Peter., except I would have thought yours should have the holes?

The early ones (single hinge?) had the molded gutters, the later 2 hinge ones had the weep holes instead. At least that's what I thought. My #50 has gutters, #111 has the holes, both sides.
Attachments
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"