Launching 563

General Sailing Talk
Paddysail
Investigator Boat Name: Patch of Blue

Launching 563

Post by Paddysail »

Hi all..happy new year to everyone... I'm interested in how members launch their 563 s .. I have shallow local Ramps near me.. I usually submerge most of the trailer
I have yet to use the tilt on the trailer ...probably try it next time ...sometimes I'm on my own..would appreciate some feedback... cheers Paddy 🙂
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Launching 563

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Paddy this is a cut from the other post on this topic

“I sometimes dunk the whole trailer for retrieval as I’m not as spry on a winch handle anymore. Takes the strain off the rig, the trailer and oldmate on the handle. Having fitted a three speed winch will hopefully aid with that in future. Maybe dunking the whole works will help a bit. I just try to hose the trailer right down immediately after doing it so that the salt does not dry in places you don’t want salt drying.”

Another thing on launching , it’s helpful to lower the rear support bunks on launch and retrieve as it takes strain off the hull. I’ve recapped mine with marine carpet as the original plastic was hard on the hull with excessive friction. Hope that helps.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Paddysail
Investigator Boat Name: Patch of Blue

Post by Paddysail »

Cheers mate that's good info..I'll give it a go thanks ...
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

G'day Paddy,

I dunk my trailer wheels right under. Since extending the drawbar trailer goes in far deeper than the original, which makes it really easy to float boat off and on with minimal winch work (and no tilt). But now it's more important to check where the ramps drop-off end is, especially on low tides. it's often marked somewhere but i've also used a spare oar or boathook to find where it is. In Qld seems it's allowed to have an old school removable tail lights board up high tied to the boats pulshpit rails, (though some go for submersible lights).

Have bearing buddies on the trailer hubs, so these always get some grease gun treatment after each trips dunking.

Still got the original one-speed wire winch, so the longer drawbar makes for far easier winch work and no need to upgrade it. (but the downside is increased turning circle of the trailer) I cruise my boat for 2-6 days, so its usually loaded with water/fuel/food/gear etc, maybe about 300-500kg extra launch weight and I'm over 60 so it all has to be easier than the original setup.

cheers
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Post by IanS »

Hi folks,

There is lots of info in the forum about launching but lots of different approaches (I guess there are different types of trailers around). As my boat is back on the trailer and I have found launching a bit tricky in the past I thought I'd see what the consensus is.

I have a tilt trailer but I have been a bit afraid to use the tilt when launching. As a result I have submerged the trailer wheels and backed the car in so the rear car wheels are just out of the water. It still gets stuck sometimes (perhaps the centre board gets fouled on a roller if not fully retracted?).

I have read elsewhere in the forum that if you back down so the water is on the centre line of the wheel hubs, you can use the tilt. I am guessing, once you get it to that depth you just pull the r-clip out of the tilt lock and give it a push at the bow. How deep does it need to be at the stern so that the boat doesn't ground into the ramp (I guess this depends on the ramp slope and tide).

Any tips or links to other posts would be greatly appreciated.

Ian
Ian, Rhythm #121
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I know launching can be daunting at times Ian. I don’t do it often enough to get the perfect technique but I do mostly have the wheels on the trailer just so the hubs are out of the water. Retrieval, I dunk the wheels usually. The main issue is depth of water which I guess depends on the ramp. I think if you wanted to try, get a local ramp at say low tide and try a test launch without actually letting to boat right off. If it looks ok you’ve covered the worst case scenario and anything better than that may be ok.

Other tips which are probably on here
Let your rear bunks down. ( see my ring spanner rants ) :lol:
Make sure rollers are all greased and free.
I’ve read a tip to squirt dishwashing detergent on your bunks to make them more slick. Can’t hurt.
My advice also is to always wash trailer before parking it for the day.

If you’re worried about too much tilt you could probably experiment with a “limiting chain” rigged to hold the tilt part way.

My last launch went too well, almost. Clicked the ratchet off on the winch and off she went. Which is also a good reminder to keep helpers, bystanders and rubberneckers well out of the way and also have a hand rope attached and ready to pull it back to the beach or jetty. Not one that’s wrapped around any body parts…don’t ask me how I know. :oops:

As an afterthought, and I’m not fond of watching peoples misfortunes as entertainment, there are a considerable number of YouTube vids on what not to do. I guess they are educational in this instance.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Hey Ian,

I had never launched a boat before I bought my first Investigator. I was told what you read re water to hub centre line and tilt trailer. I was nervy too about grounding the stern so I eased it out on the trailer winch. Next time I took a turn around the winch post with the painter to feel like I had some control. Now I still do that for just in case but I really just let her go (but see next bit about tilt function).

Ozzie mentioned limiting the tilt. I welded a chain and hook on mine to be able to do that and I think it is heaps better, for launching and retrieving. The full tilt is a bit extreme, at least for me. When retrieving, the lower angle of attack seems to require less effort of man and winch.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Paddy, when I launch or retrieve, I always use the tilt as well as my Draw bar extension. I only have to enter the water to just above the axle for launch using these aids, but I always submerge a little more on retrieve as this then reduces the need for winching, even though that is not too much of an issue with the three speed winch.
Also, I always lower the rear end of my solid bunks just to make it slide off easier. I use a length of timber to pry some weight back on to the rear bunk support prior to tightening the support bolt once the retrieve has been completed and I am back up on high ground to make sure that the full length of the bunks are sitting solidly against the hull again
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Post by IanS »

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll try the tilt next time, may using the winch to control the tilt and release.
Ian, Rhythm #121