Investigator Boat Name: Patch of Blue

Sail number

Post by Paddysail »

Hi can you tell age of yacht by its sail number..its #55 cheers paddy
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Sail number

Post by Peter T »

Hi Paddy. I don't think that there is a direct relationship between sail numbers and year of manufacture, but obviously being No 55 would tend to indicate that the boat is probably one of the earlier ones. The earlier boats had only one hinge on the front cabin hatch. Mine is # 114 which has two hinges. I am sure that you will get some idea from others on the forum. Also, if you do a search, you should be able to find the list that is floating around on here shows boat names and known sail numbers. Raya has a list and the post with it on is titled "The List" Have a search on that. . Does this boat have a "good design " plaque . Some had that fitted on the left side bulkhead. ? Year might be on that if you have one. Good luck with your search
Last edited by Peter T on Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Paddysail

Post by Paddysail »

Cheers I found a hull Identification no DE7 so I take it that's no 7 out of the mould ??
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Not sure about that, I doubt it but others may know
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Paddysail

Post by Paddysail »

Ha ha cheers anyway mate...l bought her about 1 and a half years ago from a bloke in Canberra she was called ipanema blue...
Paddysail

Post by Paddysail »

I checked the list couldn't find it there .. front hatch has 2 hinges...probably had another name before Ipanema blue
Anyway somebody might be able to shed some light for me ...just want to say hi to David who I was talking to when I was looking for a 563 over a year ago all I remember was he was doing up his boat ...I hope you finished and are cruzin mate cheers Paddy 🙂
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Paddy, Unfortunately, David was having serious health issues and ended up having to sell his boat. He is a very good friend of mine and I will pass on to him your hello's to him. I am still working on my boat, have put the first coat of paint below the waterline and am now in the process or rubbing down the second primer coat on the above waterline section of the hull. It is coming up a treat, although taking lots of time. Have a look at " new paint job" in general discussion. I have plenty more to do but it will hit the salt water once painted. Cheers and merry Christmas
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Paddysail

Post by Paddysail »

He'll I'm really sorry to hear that he was very kind and helpful bloke I wish him all the best and I hope you both have a great Christmas cheers Paddy (patch of blue )..
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Paddy will pass that on mate. Same to you and yours. Stay safe. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Paddy,
Number 55 Investigator was manufactured in late 1976. It is one of the early "Good Design Award" boats and has, or would have had, a plaque on the outside of port cockpit bulkhead.

I have #55 named as "Tubby", resident in Canberra and owned by Don. She must have become "Ipanema Blue" after that. I don't have any photos of her.

The two hinge front hatch didn't start until about number #105, so your boat is either a later model or has had the hatch modified. If you can post a picture of the front hatch, I could probably tell if it was modified.

In any case, the boat number is not important. They are all great. Have fun and report in often.

Ray
Ray
Investigator #39