New Paint Job

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: New Paint Job

Post by Ozzie »

Inspirational indeed Peter :) The livery most definitely sets off the final package. I’ve always been intimidated by attaching large vinyl stickers. I manage but am still stressed by the processes. Did you spray a water/ soap mix for positioning the sticker ?
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ozzie, there are a couple of ways to place those vinyl stickers on but by far, the easiest way is to place the whole thing with the backing paper still in place on the side of the boat. Hold it there with masking tape. Most importantly, you need tape both at the top and bottom in the middle with the tape running up and down. I also tape each end the same and have it sitting as flat as you can get it. You need the proper squeegee for the job and a spray bottle with water and a few drops of washing up detergent in it.
On large signs, you need two people.
I take the tape off from the right hand end and have your helper hold that end of the sign away from the boat at about 90 degrees so it's now being held there by the middle tapes and left end tapes. They must not put their fingers on the actual sign, only hold by the front paper.
Then, I peel the backing shiny paper off from the right end to where the middle tape is and cut it in a vertical line near the tape without marking the boat. Then use the spray bottle and apply liberal spray to both the boat and the sticky side of the sign.
Then the two people swap positions and the helper holds the sign so that it's not quite touching the boat ( very important)
And I, using the hard edge of the applicator, working from the centre in the centre, apply the sign to the boat slowly by working the water out scraping from centre upward outward and downward squishing all the water out as you go. So long as the applicator is applying the sign in this manner you will avoid any air or water bubbles.
Once that's done, leave the front paper on it , remove the remaining tape with your helper holding the left end of the sign and holding it again out at 90 deg. Swap positions again, remove the backing paper as per previously. Thoroughly wet both the boat and sticky side of the sign as before and the remaining process is as before. It's important not to get any bubbles in the middle where you changed direction from so you start squeezing back a bit where it has already been done and work you way back, up and down the same way until it's all on there with no bubbles. I then go over it another couple of times with the hard edge of the applicator and then leave it for some time to give the glue time to adhere the sign well to the boat.
Then go back to the right hand end and start to peel back the top paper pulling VERY SLOWLY and back on itself at 180 deg taking care not to let any sharp edges of the name peel back off the boat. TAKE YOUR TIME.
Once that's all done, start in the middle of the middle and then use the cloth covered edge of the applicator and squish out any remaining bubbles, but there should not be any. Take care not to lift any sharp corners. Always working from the middle outwards.

Sounds complicated, but in fact it's quite easy. Best if you can, use the same process on a smaller one like the boat rego numbers first. Doing that you won't need a helper but you might need a small piece of masking tape to hold the sign turned back on itself in place while you remove the backing.
[attachment=0]Screenshot_20220307-172527_Chrome.jpg[/attachment
Cheers
Attachments
Screenshot_20220307-172527_Chrome.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks Peter I’ll get one of those applicators.
My”Investigator 563” stickers I bought but did not get around to fitting last haulout are still in the envelope waiting to go on. I shall follow your instructions to the ( vinyl) letter. ;)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Cheers Ozzie. For anyone who is interested, Now that I have done the Investigator 563 ones to go on the side of the cabin and they are in the signrignwriters computer, I can get them made up for anyone who wants them. Not sure re cost but could find out. They are the length of an A4 page of paper and are in Black. They fit nicely just rear of the rear windows. I also reckon their size could easily be changed if required. See below.
20220307_192205.jpg
20220307_192303.jpg
As you can see, they still have their paper and backing on them. I won't be fitting these until I have painted the cabin over winter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."