Maritime government safety survey

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Maritime government safety survey

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.haveyoursay.nsw.gov.au/mari ... l#tool_tab

There was a recent Transport for NSW survey on proposed PFD changes. Now closed. Not knocking it, but I’m unsure about more regulations and more laws really making things safer. This type of thing falls into the similar category as COVID-19 regs. People who don’t do the right thing or the common sense thing will continue to do so no matter how many new regs get on the books. We have had fairly tight PFD laws now for some time but still have drownings. I would be interested in everybody’s thoughts on this .

You can jump on a surfboard and paddle to NZ if you have a leg rope :shock: and your not breaking any laws as far as I’m aware but on my old mooring position I had to put on a PFD to go out to my cruiser in the tender as it was more than the regulated distance from shore. Go figure.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Maritime government safety survey

Post by Peter T »

It's like the new required specification for life jackets. It won't matter how many times the authorities upgrade regs or specs, that won't stop people from not wearing a life jacket or not complying to any regulations.
I guess they get mandated to do something about improving safety and this is the only thing they can think of. At least it gives them some sort of sense of having done something, Otherwise they are liable.
Like with the life jackets, I still own two perfectly good fully automatic Stormy Seas jackets with zip out long sleeves. The best that could be purchased at the time. Now, to comply, I have to spend more money to buy another couple which are not as good as the ones I already had. Their answer to me was
" You can still use your old one but you must wear the new one over the top of the old one"
With that sort of attitude, how serious are they ? REALLY !
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Re: Maritime government safety survey

Post by Geoff »

Hmmm. Our Qld rules seem fairly bland by comparison, at least at the moment.

From Maritime Safety Qld website:

Lifejacket rules
It is compulsory to wear a lifejacket:

when crossing a designated coastal bar in an open boat that is less than 4.8m in length
if you are under 12 years old (from 12 months old and up to, but not including, 12 years old) in an open boat that is less than 4.8m in length and underway.
Our law says that:

boat owners or skippers must give each person on board information about where safety equipment is kept and clearly sign where lifejackets are stowed. The labels must have the word ‘lifejacket’ in red text on a white background or white text on a red background
lifejackets must comply and display information about which Australian Standard (AS) they were manufactured to. The current standard is AS 4758, which has replaced AS 1512-1996, AS 1499-1996 and AS 2260-1996.
lifejackets that comply with old standards (AS 1512, AS 1499 or AS2260) can only be used if a ship was equipped with them prior to 1 September 2016 and are within their serviceable life.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"