Lockdown jobs - remove old hull liner

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Lockdown jobs - remove old hull liner

Post by Ozzie »

I was just looking at the Honda Aus site this arvo and you can do a comparison between motors.

Interesting, the 2.3 Honda long shaft is actually longer than the Honda 5 !!..another thing going for it . And of course half the weight. You definitely need the longest shaft possible on a TS.
A6E9A606-24EC-4ED6-9827-47C4D1E084B9.png
Mostly positive reviews. Only issue I’ve read is due to the type of upper motor lubrication they are not recommended in the tropics . I’ll see if I can find the info I read.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

They are noisy being air cooled. No worse than a 2 stroke. Being air cooled I can fire it up on the trailer and warm it up so it’s right to go on the water. For a moored boat the weight would be great to be able easily remove it and put it onboard.

I’m currently looking into a 2m inflatable and will either use the Honda on it or a 5hp 2 stroke. Depending how I’m feeling and application.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

The “Ancient Mariner” air cooled 5 hp I got with Spritzig II was a great motor, 1979 model and was still going when I sold it. Yes, a bit noisy, but acceptable. It was the original motor I think that came with it. My mechanic said even with air cooled it doesn’t hurt the give them a flush after use as i think he said it keeps salt building up in the exhaust. I’m unsure how that is all plumbed. I normally did if I bought it home but not always.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Post by IanS »

Ebay habit is getting worse!

This actually came through Gumtree. $600, hasn't been in the water much. The seller had it services last week (at a cost of $210-ouch!)

Started first pull.

Once step closer to being on a mooring.

I have to say, the propellor looks very tiny. But Luke seems to have has good service. It's a short shaft but with the bracket all the way down it sits at about the same height at I have the Tohatsu. Fingers crossed. Short shaft means it will fit in the cockpit locker.
Honda OutboardLoRes.jpg
Ian, Rhythm #121
Watto

Post by Watto »

I love my Honda 2hp.
If I wanted to go fast I’d be in my runabout with the 90.

I too am looking to put my investigator in a mooring. My outboard might get put onto a dinghy and brought home or stored aboard.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Post by IanS »

You've got the long shaft, is that right Luke?

Going fast is one thing, but staying off a rocky lee shore in 20 knots is another.
Ian, Rhythm #121
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

You are quite correct Ian. You will never go "fast" in an 18 ft keel boat. If on the other hand it was a planing hull, then that's a different matter but we are talking about a displacement hull. All you will ever get to is "hull speed" . With an I563, that equates to around 5knots give or take. Any more power applied will just bury the transom with very little increase in speed. I am not real sure if 2 hp is enough though, those who have them could probably advise on that better than me. The only thing you need HP for is for "push".
So what that means is you need enough power to push against the strongest wind, tide or current that you will encounter. If the boat is used on a lake with little or no wind, then I imagine 2 hp would be quite sufficient.
For me though, operating in Bass Strait which has a 12 to 14 ft tide which creates a strong tidal flow, and often very strong winds, I am really happy to have the 6 Hp 4 stroke sail pro on the back as that ensures me that I can get back to safety so long as it keeps going.
As to the removal of the contact glue of the removed liner, either white spirits or acetone would probably work but be careful using acetone in a confined area as the fumes could very easily overcome you. I would suggest opening up all hatches and the use of a good fan for flow through ventilation
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Sorry, tried to delete duplicate message
Last edited by Peter T on Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Just had another thought re removal of that glue. How about giving "Wax and Grease Remover" a go. I used it with great success to get rid of the gooey glue residue when I removed the nine boat registration numbers from my hull prior to painting. Can be bought from supercheap auto.
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Watto

Post by Watto »

I definitely wouldn’t be going off enclosed waters with the 2.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82