Lockdown jobs - remove old hull liner

General Sailing Talk
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Lockdown jobs - remove old hull liner

Post by IanS »

Scraping off mouldy hull liner - not my idea of fun. Any suggestions for replacement?

I'm not going to get the surface good enough for painting. Whitworths do a self adhesive hull liner that might be worth a try?
Hull Liner Scraping - 3.jpg
Hull Liner Scraping - 5.jpg
Hull Liner Scraping - 4.jpg
Hull Liner Scraping - 6.jpg
Hull Liner Scraping - 2.jpg
Hull Liner Scraping - 1.jpg
Ian, Rhythm #121
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Lockdown jobs - remove old hull liner

Post by Ozzie »

Ian, a big job and often it would be in awkward places. Have you tried a heat gun? I managed to get a whole bathroom of 20 year old tile glue off with a gas torch years ago. It actually melted and scraped off. Gas might be a bit hot for fg hull but I’ve now got a Makita heat gun that gets pretty hot on the top setting. If the liner was held with contact glue that melts pretty easily I’ve found

A thick coat of oil based undercoat which is what I used on Spritzig II covers a multitude of sins. Then I have two coats of weather shield gloss. Dulux oil based undercoat sticks very well to glass. I’ve never had peeling on this boat or my last. Both moored. Maybe for a topcoat instead of weather shield you could try a slightly textured paint. Ask at a paint shop. Only issue if it’s too textured might be mold and cleaning.

Other thing that came to mind was a a spray on automotive vinyl paint. Good luck.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
IanS

Post by IanS »

Thanks for the tips Ozzie. Not sure I want to go down the paint route, although that's probably the right thing to do. I think I might just cover it over with another hull liner...
Ian, Rhythm #121
no way

Post by no way »

I used the Biege Hull Liner from Whitworths - 2M wide and 39.95/m. Remember a liner prevents condensation whereas paint/flowcoat doesn't insulate.As you have found stripping is the worst job. Glued mine down with gel contact brushed on - yes its woofy so use a fan to ventilate boat as you do it. The material is surprisingly pliable and can be accurately cut with a very sharp stanley knife. Rough cut panels and only do one section at a time. Coat the liner piece all over but only apply to hull exactly on where you need it. For adhesion you need both parts coated so the untrimmed excess should not stick to anything. If you are worried about inadvertent adhesion mask off the outside areas. The liner pushes into corners easily. I found when butting up 2 sections the second one didn't stick to previously adhered liner. I used 3mm teak ply on forward cabin roof
Attachments
forward cabin lining I563 web.jpg
forward cabin lining I563 web.jpg (31.25 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
IanS

Post by IanS »

Great, thanks for the advice. I think that's what I'll do. I was thinking of trying an aerosol contact but perhaps the gel is the better way to go.
Ian, Rhythm #121
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I’ve found the aerosol contact to not be very good. I tried repairs to the headliner in my last Falcon and it failed to adhere to the foam layer. Gel contact is much better. The aerosol is a bit of an aerosol :shock:

If you’re not mooring, like me, hull liner is probably the way to go. I like the ability to simply wipe over any mold with mild bleach solution to bring it back to new plus paint is very easy to touch up knocks, cuts and scrapes you inevitably get in the confined space of an investigator cabin. Good luck with it . Post a little tutorial with pictures if you can.

Good lockdown project anyway.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
IanS

Post by IanS »

Thinking about putting it on a mooring at Brooklyn, so I might ask for some tips Ozzie.

1. replace outboard with air-cooled Honda??
2. secure hatches??
3. Paint bottom??

I just got to the top of the mooring wait list, trying to decide whether its worth the extra expense and wear and tear...
Ian, Rhythm #121
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hope this helps Ian.

My thread on mooring

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=807&hilit=Mooring

Ian, the Honda is by all accounts a mighty little motor, I searched but they are rare second hand and in long shaft practically non existent so you’d probably need a new one, but the air cooled saves flushing and the light weight saves your back. This was my solution to mooring flushing my Marner 5. This is a small rectangular shaped plastic bucket scabbed off the council throw out ( fancy that) it is a bottom part of either a kitchen tidy or paper shredder. It just fits over the bottom of the OB with the skeg touching the base. Within the ‘bucket ‘ I have crafted styrofoam doughnuts of various shapes glued in and glued together with expanding foam from a can ( Bunnings). The hardest shape is around the prop.
0A5468A7-68D4-470A-A1DB-67EA17A43F1D.jpeg
0A5468A7-68D4-470A-A1DB-67EA17A43F1D.jpeg (50.94 KiB) Viewed 2287 times

This displaces enough water so that the 5 litre oil container shown will contain enough fresh water to fill it to the top and flush in the normal manner. Carrying 10 litres of fresh water out each trip to flush was not on. I have a friction strap to hold it on the bottom of the OB. You have to tilt the motor to get it in place. Then return it to vertical at the top of the folding OB mount’s adjustment. I’ve recently added a few brackets on the bucket side to hold the friction strap. Advantage of this is you only have to carry out a 5 litre bottle of fresh water each trip which I leave in the tender on the mooring while we are sailing. A 5hp long shaft will fit in the cockpit locker but I think you’d need to rig a plate on the bulkhead with a SS chain to secure it some how.

I’ve been using this now for a year if I don’t bring the OB home. Works fine.

Hatches are a security issue but as with most locks only keep out honest people anyway. I have a clamp clasp lock that replaced the original hopper window style lock on the front hatch which was useless from a sea safety and security point of view. Internally I just secure it with a carabiner for quick egress in an emergency.

The poptop has a large gate type ss slide bolt and on the front I put a hasp and staple each side of the companionway. My storm board is placed in and then the hatch slide out over it to lock it in place as I lift and then drop the pop top, which I then lock down with SS Lockwood padlocks. ( don’t use cheap padlocks, don’t ask me how I know :()My meagre electronics come home in my sailing bag . It’s usually tools, electronics and money that thieves want. As they are mostly dimbulbs and operating a sailing vessel is beyond them. Mostly sails, rigging or the like rarely get taken from what I hear. Valuable rigging is all over sailing boats I see canoeing.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
IanS

Post by IanS »

Thanks Ozzie,

I read your mooring post with great interest.

They had these on Father's day special for $1000 but no stock:
https://www.anacondastores.com/water-sp ... BP90125859
Ian, Rhythm #121
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

Ian,

Love my 2hp Honda. Nice and light and no fuel lines to worry about.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82