Trip report: Lady Musgrave Island

General Sailing Talk
RobertB

Trip report: Lady Musgrave Island

Post by RobertB »

Hi Folks,

I did it.

Drove up to 1770 on the Wed. Launched and anchored in the waterway.

Rose at 3am to cross the bar at 3.30 with lifeline and lifevest on.
No problems crossing the bar.
Breeze from NNE at 13 knots. Swell was about a meter. Set sails only to find that the mainsail halyard was fauled up somewhere up the top of the mast and I couldn't see it in the dark. So, I had to settle for a reefed main till dawn.

Then I began to vomit. Then my bowels decided to join in. I was not feeling to good. I brought up everything I had eaten in the last 24 hours and the rest made its way out also!.

With the first light I was able to clear the halyard and set the main correctly and we begane to make good speed. Over 4 and sometimes 5 knots.

My seasickness had me puzzled. It was a first for me and I have many hours, weeks even of open water sailing behind me??.

The sail across was uneventful, except for my being so unwell. I was visited by a dolphin. I averaged 3.2 knots and arrived in 10 hours and entered the lagoon about 1.30. Anchored and ventured some food which promptly returned whence it had come. I was dehydrated and had a cracking headache. I sipped a celebratory cold ginger beer and this did me some good.
I rested all afternoon.
With the setting sun I began to experience the shivers and shakes. This was when I realized that was suffering from a virus.
In the morning I was much recovered and could eat and hold water down. I swam ashore and wandered the island.
When I was not snorkelling or exploring the island (found some tracks where a turtle had laid her eggs the night before) I read and snoozed the day away.
I headed back on the Sat. There was very little breeze at first, about 4 knots, so I set the spinnacker for the first hour or so.

I arrived back at 1770 in time for the high tide and crossed a very calm bar.

Cheers, Robert
Attachments
Lady Musgrave Island Dec 2009 058x3.jpg
Lady Musgrave Island Dec 2009 013x2.jpg
Lady Musgrave Island Dec 2009 013x2.jpg (54.14 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
Lady Musgrave Island Dec 2009 092x5.jpg
BobK

Re: Trip report: Lady Musgrave Island

Post by BobK »

Hi Robert.

Saw your post on TSP. You are representing the Investigator fraternity with style!

Bummer about getting ill. Both Margaret and I have had something similar over the last couple of weeks. Not as bad as you by the sound of it, but I'm still not over it.

Didn't stay long. Was that because of your health or was that the plan.

Now that you've been we'll be able to pick your brains. Don't think we'll be ab;e tp contemplate the trip for quite a while. Calendar filling up for next year already.

What did you think of the inland water around 1770? Is it worth a look?
Bob
Margarita #32
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Well done Robert! Especially so that you did it while being sick. Were you sailing single handed? Towing a dinghy?
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
solo

Post by solo »

Great sail Robert.But its not much fun feeling sick all the time Even worse if you are single handed .
Gunter
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the support. Let me stress....it was a very good weather window.
I was solo Ian. I thought about taking the dinghy, and wished I had, because it is a bit of a swim to the island from the designated anchoring areas.
I chose not to take the dinghy because I would have to tow it, and I was not keen to tow a dinghy over a bar.

Cheers, Robert
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

Hi Robert.
I saw your video the other day and was overwhelmed. What a fantastic trip. As usual the music, commentary and video was great. Enjoyed the photos as well.
Cliché time:
Just do it.
Keep on keeping on.

Larry