PLB AND MOB

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

PLB AND MOB

Post by Ozzie »

“How a PLB saved my life when I was knocked overboard “

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/sailing ... oard-78393

Lots of good info and warnings in this article. Aus content, and I’ll leave it here for a while before transfer into the links thread. I think a PLB even in enclosed waters might be a good idea after reading this. Lots of separate issues raised. Also noted is the fact he lost his glasses . If like me you can’t read sheet without them it creates problems in this situation.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: PLB AND MOB

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the detailed article on this solo MOB incident Ozzie, he certainly was a well-prepared and a skilled seaman.

been thinking of getting a lifejacket PLB since first seeing this incident on the news awhile back. Especially if sailing off the phone grid. It could also be used if going outback, dinghy sailing etc. It's fairly well priced life-insurance over the 10 -20 years it will operate. Most seakayakers use them, some helicopter pilots in PNG wore a PLB. Anywhere it would be virtually impossible to find you again.

The skipper overboard was in a very remote place and in bad weather/seas when it happened. Interesting about the jackline tether nearly drowned him but saved by that hook knife, never heard of them before. Even with the best SAR technology, he was just a single pixel...

It indicates to me that it might be better to take on a crew or two for remote ocean crossings at least. This was his only mistake. Solo sailing always has its extra dangers and MOB is the major one. In my backpacking/coastal and blue water cruising days, all the yachts i crewed on always took on extra crew for long trips offshore. Marinas, yacht clubs and nearby backpackers were good crew sources. A notice pinned up or just asking around the dock/marina/y'club. Backpackers' are adventurous, have more spare time and don't mind a free bunk and slow transport. It's certainly easier to crew when you are young and living under fewer constraints. Everyone was trained on MOB drills, main one for the new helmsman was starting the engine and motoring up to them from downwind. We threw a cardboard box over and used that as a "MOB", anything that floats and doesn't drift much will do. The helmsman must quickly call up a 3rd crew to keep an eye fixed on the MOB. fortunately it never happened for real.

I heard of a real MOB case in the 80's involving family members. My brother and cousin were crewing on a yacht sailing from NZ to Fiji. they were on foredeck hooking up an MPS halyard, cousin fell overboard, when over-reaching for something and a swell knocked the boat, he was lost to sight in swells within seconds, and only training/good seamanship saved him. spotters, sailing back on the reciprocal compass course re-located him, experienced yachty's. But nevertheless very lucky as he wasn't wearing a lifejacket either. If it happened at night chances are lower, though a jacket strobe light would make all the difference (used to have one for night solo sailing $20)

Bit safer in an Investigator day sailing near land and anchoring in safe harbours for nights. Most of us are within mobile range, so i carry my phone in a waterproof holder ($15 at BCF) when in open water, i hope it could be used in a solo MOB emergency. anyway its a cheap stop-gap for now. Always wear a life jacket and in cold waters suggest wear a wetsuit too, to add a few hours of MOB lifetime (when crossing Bass straight one guy aboard had a dry-suit)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks Andrew for your extra input. I think I’ll get a PLB for our post covid travel . This is actually the second article I’ve read where the writer went mob with a lifeline clipped on and finished up having to cut it as it was drowning them . The other one was in the Irish Sea from memory between Ireland and Uk . Scary stuff. I’ve crossed that stretch by ferry to Stranraer and the seas on a good day are bad. :? Clearly if you have Jack lines and harness it needs to be short enough to keep you on deck not hanging over the side like this morning’s washing. The other story was on a crewed boat but the mob was in the water for a long time before recovery , must have been summer.

Like all this stuff training, training, training. If you have PLB or for that matter any safety gear you should be able to operate it in the dark with no lights (or glasses) is the main message I get from this story. The rare times I’m solo (day only) I have a made up a harness I clip to the mast ring and pulpit with a short strap and clip that will release under pressure but it’s more to keep me from losing balance than hold my full weight. Also in heavy weather I’m not going on deck for anything in an emergency, cut everything I can reach, let the sails flog themselves to hell or blow away and start the donk and motor to the nearest safe bay. And live to fight another day. Only money. Not an option when coastal sailing, that’s why I don’t consider myself competent to do it. Glad his cat was ok. 😺
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Yes a spotter is essential. Mostly we retrieve hats or HOB :) BUT even in a moderate chop in LM t’s bloody difficult to keep an eye on a hat or even a floating rope . A person in an ocean swell in deteriorating light would be a real test of concentration.

Of course as the story goes many sailers practice returning to a swimmer in an MOB situation but the real thing to practice is retrieving a helpless, maybe concussed, cold , elderly, child, possibly disabled person from the water and most of us including myself do not practice that. Scary but a necessary consideration. Anyway happy ending story we can learn from. Anyone have a personal Mob? Please share.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Question.
Does a sail winch and I know they come in different gearing, have sufficient power to lift say a 90 kg person from the water assuming you could get a rope running from a pushed out boom and assuming a boom and associated rigging could hold 90 kg. I have no idea as I’ve never owned a winch and rarely used one. If so what winch?
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I don't have any winches ozzie, but reckon its worth a try , probably could take weight.

That's raising the Bar a bit ozzie, 90kg flexible lumps to haul aboard. "Buster" from "Myth busters" would be perfect (unless a gutsy crew could be persuaded..) make my Box overboard drill "BOB" look too easy (BOB also = Bucket overboard) :D (but its better than nothing)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I’ve been thinking Andrew that any setup would need a line, probably have to be dyneema, fixed about half way up the mast, that would give the opposite shroud more mechanical advantage. It would be better to have a strap around the mast with a shackle as a fitting would need to be strong and strongly anchored. That would come to the end of the boom to take the weight of the mob and a turning block hung from it with your lift line passing through that, to the which one way and down to a harness if some kind the other way. Would this put excessive compression of the boom towards the mast and wreck the gooseneck? Lots of ifs really. None of this is a problem on big sailing boats with industrial sized hardware I guess.

Sounds like it may work in theory on our boats but it’s not practical to leave set up really and not much point having to rig it in an emergency. Only practical solution is not to fall overboard :shock:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Prevention always better than cure,

My boat has staunchions and life lines, toerail, first line of defence,

Don't knock crew out cold with the boom gybing, and wear collared lifejackets or auto inflating ones. I prefer the former simpler, cheaper and less maintenance..(only con is bulkier)

Getting crew back aboard..ive got a fold down boarding ladder on transom. Ok for a swimmer.

If an unconcious MOB, current simple plan (with available resources) is to boathook their life jacket collar, heave-to, bring them aft, get a bowline loop under armpits, pull them up a bit, then tie off somewhere inboard before taking a breather.

Not sure about after that stage..maybe shouting / shoulder shake etc could revive. Improvisation needed for sure. If still lights out, A lightweight could be hauled aboard by brute strength..heavier maybe wrap the lift-rope around something (jib winch ideal) and lift in small increments, taking up rope slack. A VHF call with boats around could get needed assistance quickly.

Reckon the standard boom topping lift gear wouldn't be strong enough , but the mainsail halyard and sheaves might just handle a MOB lift..,?

Rescue and first-aid training always a bonus,
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I think you’ve nailed it Andrew , try not to lose crew but at least have a backup plan. I’ve only had one experience with guests who could not get back in to the boat after swimming as they were in their sixties and did not have the strength to use the inbuilt notches in the hull. As we were close to shore I towed them in the tender shoreside and used that to get them back on the boat. Soon though I found myself in the same age and position and I’m reasonably fit other than my spine. That’s when I fitted the fixed fold down ladder.

Makes you realise that even in non emergency, still water and daylight situations boarding even a small yacht like a 563 is not going to be easy for some users. I’ve found getting into a tender from the water is almost impossible without sinking it, and there’s a post on here somewhere about that. I have not tried to get into my poly cat from deep water yet and I’m going to be interested to see if the additional stability of the twin hulls will help. Somehow I’m not optimistic.

A boarding platform would probably assist but such things add unwanted weight and clutter to the back of the boat . I hypothesised once that a temp platform could be made from the rudder but once again it needs to be quick to deploy in an emergency. No point having your mob freezing or panicking while your reinventing the wheel.

Oh stuff it. Forget about it and just go sailing :roll: :)
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

I reckon board a dinghy from over the stern with hopefully someone else aboard to balance the bow so long as they do not try to help. If it's an 8ft tender, nearly impossible with nobody else aboard, so just hang on and kick. It would be a good exercise to try it in safe conditions with help at hand
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."