Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: General interest Links and Videos

Post by Ozzie »

Book now . On again in 2025

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsSypB9gI0s
7F1BE9B0-90A3-42D1-AF8B-A0B29A745538.jpeg
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Wow, Wow, Wow. Absolutely the best video of sailing I have ever seen. How inspiring!.
Thanks Ozzie. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I am mostly over Tv, and movie’s to boot, theses days. Having access to the biggest store of information in human history in the web gives me too many options for interesting reading.

Last night I did however relent and click on Prime subscription service , which we have basically for Mrs Ozzie and watched “the Boat” as the splash picture had a nice 1991 Beneteau First 45F5 in it. I must admit it had me till the end. It’s “psychological thriller” probably. Designed to mess with your head, but interestingly enough, one of the few flix I’ve seen that takes place almost entirely on a luxury yacht. If you’ve got nothing to do for awhile and subscribed to Prime, it’s interesting working out the technical aspects of how they filmed it without buggering up a fancy 1991 Beneteau.

You can always hit the stop button and go back to “Survivor, Coles soft drink section” or whatever’s on channel 10 tonight :lol: :lol:
622CACCD-CC2D-46CF-A229-3433E3FD37EC.jpeg
Over on the other place they did a thread on your favourite sailing movie once. “Waterworld”, as you can probably tell from my signature, I thought was entertaining. Kevin Costner is the same age as me so he’s probably hung up his webbed hands now :| . Struth, that was 28 years ago .
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uuDToIPDuQ

Had to throw this one in. Just when you think you know a bit about boat design. This is somewhat outside the square. I think I’ll check A few of the videos about the subject and his unusual boat. Points of interest are the blunt nose, the yuloh , fitout. The boat is four meters long, boomless main , rotating mast. Does it work? Well he’s doing a circumnavigation so I guess so.
BB1C190E-D4AF-43BD-AD8B-0C4C23C58184.jpeg
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Interesting Ozzie. From the look of the front ( I presume) it could be foul, or he might be chicken, ha ha
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

http://www.shortypen.com/sailboats/sail ... ag-coffin/

Another one here folks with outside the square boat design. And another square front Peter!
He calls this boat Queequags Coffin :shock: I know Queequag’s coffin saved Ishmael’s bacon but this boat boat could have cooked his goose given he was doing a 120 mile sail event. Half of it in not so ideal conditions. Props to the man for accepting a tow at the appropriate time. Better a good sailing story than one you don’t live to tell. He mentioned that this course was too rough for pd racers, which are another mini sail boat, some with shoebox cabins for cruiser use, mentioned on USA sailing sites frequently.
[attachment=0]9FC7B761-D34E-45E1-8C08-CC2EF8D88F09.jpeg[/attachment]
Pic from above site by owner
I have found a series of videos showing a mini cruiser group on my sailing grounds on Lake Mac on YouTube. Included is a locally constructed “Paradox” another well known construction on US sites. Did a quick check and there was one on gummy in WA for sale so obviously they are around. Love to see one sailing past in the flesh. I’ll post link when I find it again. These little boats make the 563 look like Royal Caribbean’s “Oasis of the Seas” lol .

As I’ve said before, I’ll never built one but these homemade mini cruisers are quite fascinating.
Attachments
9FC7B761-D34E-45E1-8C08-CC2EF8D88F09.jpeg
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

You may recall in an earlier post regarding our travels I put up a pic of the new CSIRO Ship “Investigator” docked in Hobart when we were there. The boat’s in the news today with an interesting but tragic Aussie sea story.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-15/ ... /102289524
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thank you Ozzie, I remember both the Boat and the story of its demise very well. And used to see the Star often at the warf in Launceston.
Was totally amazing when the survivors were finally discovered.
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

It’s an interesting but tragic story Peter. They had a very long interview with the youngest crewmember whose is still alive at 68. The only good thing about to come about from it was an improvement in marine safety regs although the news did not specifically say what.

A similar thing happened after the Sydney-Hobart disaster exposed the poor state of life raft safety standards and lead to significant improvements there. Humans always learn the hard way unfortunately, my experience in road safety was little better.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Yes Ozzie. Speaking of the Sydney to Hobart disaster, I remember it well. I was actually the commodore of the P.DY.C. at that time in 98 which was the home port of the ill fated " Business Post Niad" where sadly, the skipper, Bruce Guy, sadly lost his life. I also remember only too well how the media, after promising to leave the surviving crew to their privacy once I had organised a once off interview with the crew. Sadly and infuriatingly, the media hounded them for weeks afterwards after their promise. I know this, I will never and I mean NEVER EVER TRUST A WORD THAT COMES OUT OF ANY MEDIA PERSON AGAIN.
I WAS TOTALLY AND UTTERLY DISGUSTED WITH THEM FOR WHAT THEY DID TO THOSE POOR GRIEVING CREW.
So it is very pleasing that some great safety changes were made by authorities after this tragic event
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114